My Sandwell Login/Register

Apply for a HMO | Private landlord advice | Sandwell Council

Supporting Sandwell with the cost of living

Supporting you to make the most of your money and find help if you need it. Find out more about how we're Supporting Sandwell. →

Private landlord advice

Apply for a HMO

You can apply for a HMO Licence here.

Please note that you if you wish to save your progress when applying for a licence, then you will have to create a MySandwell account first. You will not be able to save your progress without creating a MySandwell account first. You will get an option to create a MySandwell account before applying for a licence. 

 Please email us if you have any questions:

Remember, you only have to apply for a Licence if you have 5 or more people in 2 or more households in your property. If you are still unsure if you need a Licence or not, please click here. Or, if you would more information on what a HMO is and the difference between a licensable and non licensable HMO then please click here.

Before you apply, please make sure that you have the following ready to add to your application:

  • Fire Alarm Certificate
  • Electrical Installation Certificate
  • Fire Risk Assessment 
  • Emergency Lighting Certificate
  • Gas Certificate
  • EPC
  • Plans
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of address
  • PAT Testing (If applicable) 

If you have these documents ready, the application process will be easier to complete. To fill out the whole application, it will only take around 30-40 minutes. 

If you have any questions please email us at