Temporary Exemption Notices (TEN)

You will be able to apply for a TEN if you are new to HMO's and Licences or even if you are a new Landlord. You can apply for a TEN which will last for 3 months. You can apply for an additional TEN for another 3 months. After your second TEN you will need to either apply to get a full HMO Licence or not get a Licence at all.

Keep in mind that if you choose not to get a Licence then you CANNOT operate your property as a HMO.

If you don’t require a HMO Licence straight away, then applying for a TEN would be beneficial. If your property has a TEN on it, then you will not have to apply for a full Licence when your second TEN expires. 

If you apply for a TEN and we refuse it then we will provide you with a reason as to why it was not approved, an option to appeal the decision and the period in which you are able to appeal. 

Please note we are currently having issues with the system that we use to process our HMO Licences. If you wish to apply for a HMO Licence then please show your interest by emailing landlord_licensing@sandwell.gov.uk