Apply for a HMO Licence

Apply for a HMO Licence

Please note that you will have to create a MySandwell account before applying for a licence. 

Please email us if you have any questions:

Before you apply, please make sure that you have the following ready to add to your application:

  • Fire Alarm Certificate
  • Electrical Installation Certificate
  • Fire Risk Assessment
  • Emergency Lighting Certificate
  • Gas Certificate
  • EPC
  • Plans
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of address
  • PAT Testing (If applicable)
  • Tenancy Agreement

If you have these documents ready, the application process will be easier to complete. To fill out the whole application, it will only take around 30-40 minutes.

Once you have completed and submitted your application it will be checked to ensure all documentation is completed and uploaded. If your application is accepted, you will be asked for payment. If the application is rejected, you will be advised what additional information is required before you submit your revised application.

Remember, you only have to apply for a Licence if you have 5 or more people in 2 or more households in your property.

Unsure if you need a Licence or not

Or get more information on

What a HMO is and the difference between a licensable and non licensable HMO

If you live or rent out your property in the West Bromwich area, you may need a licence. Please visit our Additional Licensing page for more information.

Please click here to find out which team manages Private Sector Housing disrepairs and HMO Licensing

If you have any questions please email us at