Sandwell Aquatics Centre
New Sandwell Aquatics Centre – public consultation
The council is proposing to build a new £60m state-of-the-art aquatics centre at Londonderry Playing Fields in Smethwick.
We’ve produced artist impressions of Sandwell Aquatics Centre to show what the aquatics centre will look like. These drawings show the layout of the new facility and where it is on the site. They also provide information on the construction of the building.
The designs feature a 50m Olympic-sized competition swimming pool, a 25m diving pool and a studio pool along with 1,000 spectator seats.
Alongside the swimming facilities the centre will also include:
- diving, swimming events an extra 4,000 temporary spectator seats for the Games in 2022
- 450 on-site car parking spaces
- three activity studios
- minimum 8-court sports hall
- 108-station gym
- 25-station ladies-only gym
- indoor cycling studio
- dry driving centre
- sauna/steam room
- new football pitch and changing facilities
- new urban park and children's play area; and a
We want your views on the design and facility mix. This will support the formal planning application which will be submitted after the consultation period has ended. View the artist impressions of the proposed designs.
The council has organised five drop-in sessions in Smethwick for residents to come along and discuss proposals for the new facility ahead of a planning application being put forward.
Download the consultation document for more information.
Drop-in sessions are as follows:
- Tuesday 18 December – 5pm-8pm at St Mark’s Church, Thimblemill Road
- Thursday 20 December – 9am-5pm at St Mark’s Church, Thimblemill Road
- Tuesday 8 January – 5pm-8pm at St Mark’s Church, Thimblemill Road
- Thursday 10 January – 9am-5pm at St Mark’s Church, Thimblemill Road
- Tuesday 15 January – 4pm-6pm at Dorothy Parkes Centre, Church Road
- Friday 17 January - 10am-2pm at Dorothy Parkes Centre, Church Road