If you need help understanding a bill that you have received, we have an explanation of your Council Tax bill online. 

I am having difficulty in making payments - what should I do?

It is vital that you contact us to discuss the situation straight away.

You can request a payment arrangement online. 

You may be entitled to discount, exemption or Council Tax reduction which may help to reduce the amount you have to pay.

We also have funding available to help households struggling to pay their bill.

What happens if I do not make the requested payments?

If you do not pay as detailed on your bill then the council will have no alternative but to issue further documentation and take recovery action against you. We will issue one of the following recovery notices:

  • reminder 
  • final notice
  • summons

If your account remains outstanding after the issue of a summons the council will apply for a liability order at Sandwell magistrates' court. If you have received a summons you can set up a special arrangement online to request a payment plan that better suits your own circumstances.

Find out about the recovery process and what this means to you.

Get help and assistance if you are experiencing financial hardship.

Find out more about the corporate debt policy.

Contact us

If the council is pursuing you for payment of Council Tax and court action has commenced then please contact us.

Please be aware that we can only discuss an account with the person named on the bill. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form.