My Sandwell Login/Register

Household Waste (Refuse) Collection | Sandwell Council

Supporting Sandwell with the cost of living

Supporting you to make the most of your money and find help if you need it. Find out more about how we're Supporting Sandwell. →

Household Waste (Refuse) Collection

What happens to rubbish that I put in my household waste (refuse) wheeled bin?

Any waste that is placed out for collection as household waste/refuse is sent either to landfill or for incineration.

For your material to be recycled, it needs to be placed into the correct container and put out for that particular recycling collection.

If there are items unsuitable for recycling from the kerbside containers, the Household Recycling Centre can accept a range of items for recycling.

The majority of homes with kerbside access now receive the grey household waste (refuse) collection service using a 180 litre wheelie bin.

Your grey bin collections are weekly. 

What can I put in the household waste (refuse) wheeled bin?

The majority of materials that can't be put into your blue lid recycling bin, food waste collection or garden waste collection can be put out for your weekly refuse/household waste collection including:

  • clothing, shoes or textiles that are worn out or soiled and otherwise can't be given to a charity shop or door to door collection
  • hard plastics, such as toys 
  • pet bedding 
  • dog mess or other pet waste
  • disposable nappies, incontinence or sanitary products
  • heavily soiled or greasy packaging (for example pizza boxes or chip papers) 
  • wet paper or soiled paper
  • foil plastics such as sweet or crisp packets
  • polystyrene plastic
  • bubble wrap
  • broken pottery, cookware, drinking glasses or kitchen utensils.
  • mats and rugs 
  • large quantities of shredded paper 
  • ash – this must be cold
  • small amounts of soil or turf
  • DIY rubbish, timber or sawdust

In addition, if you use cooking oil that remains liquid when cool, this should be collected in an unwanted container which can be closed (for example, a plastic milk bottle and lid) and can be placed in your wheeled bin for household waste/refuse. 

What can't I put in the household waste (refuse) wheeled bin?

Please do try and separate the materials that you throw away so that we can recycle as much of them as possible.   A large proportion of the rubbish that you produce at home can be recycled using the blue lid recycling, food waste or garden waste.

The following materials should not be put in your household waste bin (if HRC is written next to it, this means that this type of waste can be taken to the Household Recycling Centre (Tip):

  • asbestos
  • energy saving or fluorescent light bulbs (HRC)
  • paint (HRC)
  • unwanted medicines (return to chemists)
  • stones, rubble or tiles (HRC)
  • gas bottles (including small helium balloon cylinders) return to the supplier or HRC
  • trade waste (arrange a trade waste collection)
  • car batteries, engine oil (HRC)
  • household batteries (clear bag on the top of your blue lid bin)
  • electrical items (HRC)
  • large amounts of scrap metal, timber and sheet glass (HRC)
  • large amounts of soil/turf (HRC)                                                              

In addition, bulky household items, fridges and freezers should not be placed out with your household waste. Please book a bulky collection (note - charges can apply).