Entitlement to a waste collection

Which properties should receive a household waste collection?

A waste collection including the collection of domestic/recycling waste or a bulky collection will only be provided to homes that are eligible to pay council tax as a domestic dwelling. The only exception being where a building is used for multiple purposes.

All existing properties are categorised using a nationwide system with a unique property reference number (UPRN) and use category that describes the type of building and whether is it a domestic or commercial/business premises.  The waste collection service receives daily updates so that any changes such as the building of new properties or property conversions from retail to domestic homes are inputted automatically onto Serco’s collection software.  

Until a property is correctly categorised and showing as a domestic dwelling on the mapping system the developer/landlord will need to dispose of any wastes as commercial waste. 

In the case where a property has been developed but not taken steps to inform the council that it is a domestic premise and is already occupied, the resident/tenant should take any waste to the household recycling centre, Shidas Lane, Oldbury whilst they are waiting for the property to be correctly categorised and the appropriate bins to be delivered.  

What developers/landlords need to do

Developers or landlords should keep the council informed as to any development to existing properties and their use in particular where a commercial building is being converted to domestic dwellings or a domestic property converted so that it can be the home for more occupants ie flats/HMO.   This is so that the appropriate council tax billing is applied for and the council’s mapping system can be updated to prevent waste collection delays.  

Where the council property records have not been updated, the waste service will liaise with the councils Mapping and Revenues and Benefits (Council Tax) sections in order to keep the delay to the minimum in providing domestic waste collections.  

Where a landlord has failed to inform the council of changes or dispute a property categorisation they will be required to liaise directly with the Revenues and Benefits (Council Tax) section before a domestic waste collection will be provided.

Non-standard properties

We provide a collection of wastes to a limited number of properties that are not classed as domestic dwellings (as categorised by the council tax register) including the following:

Properties that are both a domestic dwelling and a business

Properties that contain both a domestic dwelling and a business are classed as a composite hereditament and any waste from a trading activity will need to be separated and dealt with as commercial waste.

Non-domestic dwellings that may be eligible for household waste collection

Places of religious worship, registered charities and community halls may be offered the standard waste collection service as offered to householders. This is subject to the types of activities provided in the building and any waste from a trading activity will need to be separated and dealt with as commercial waste.