The food hygiene rating scheme helps people choose where to eat out or shop for food by giving them information about the hygiene standards in businesses that sell food.
We inspect food businesses and give them a rating of 0-5 to show how closely they meet food hygiene law standards.
Find out ratings
Businesses are also given a window sticker showing their rating and are encouraged to display this at their premises in a place where you can easily see it when you visit. Display is voluntary at the moment.
Some businesses such as wholesalers and manufacturers are not included in the food hygiene rating scheme. If this affects your business, this will be explained in your inspection report.
Improve your food hygiene rating
The Food Standards Agency has lots of information on what to do to improve your food hygiene rating.
What can the owner of a business do if they think the rating given is unfair or wrong?
Right to reply
Businesses have a right to reply to the rating. Replies will be displayed on the business' listing on the Food Standards agency website.
It tells potential customers about any improvements that may have made or explains the circumstances our officer found at the time of the inspection.
We will review comments before they are published and will remove offensive or defamatory remarks.
To reply, download the right to reply form and send it to the address on the form.
Appeal a rating
If you do not agree that the rating reflects the hygiene standards and management controls found at the time of the inspection, you can appeal.
You have 14 days from the date of receipt of the notification letter to lodge an appeal. We will review your rating and tell you the outcome of your appeal within twenty-one days.
To appeal, complete the food hygiene rating appeal form and send it to the address on the form.
Request a revisit
- As the food business operator of the establishment you have a right to request a re-visit for the purposes of re-rating if you have taken action to rectify the non-compliances identified at the time of inspection.
- There will be a charge for cost recovery for each re-visit carried out at your request.
- You can request a re-visit with a view to obtaining a new and higher food hygiene rating at any time after the statutory inspection provided that you have made the required improvements. There is no limit on the number of requests for revisits that you may wish to make.
- You must provide the payment and details of the improvements made for each re-visit request, including supporting evidence where appropriate, before a re-visit is made.
- If the local authority considers that you have provided sufficient evidence that the required improvements have been made, the local authority will make an unannounced visit within three months of receipt of the request and payment.
- The local authority officer will give you a ‘new’ food hygiene rating based on the level of compliance that is found at the time of the re-visit - you should be aware that your rating could go up, down or remain the same.
- You must put your request in writing. You can apply and pay on-line here.
Complaints about food or premises
If you have a complaint about food you have bought in Sandwell, or you are worried about food hygiene standards at a restaurant, takeaway or other food outlet, please contact our environmental health team.