We will do whatever we can to help someone stay in their own home and for them to be as independent as possible. This could include support or special equipment at home, or moving to an extra care housing scheme.

Contact us if you need help deciding what is best for you.

Extra care housing schemes have self-contained one or two bedroom apartments complete with a kitchen, lounge and bathroom or shower room. Care or support staff are on duty 24 hours a day, and all apartments have an emergency alarm system.

There are shared facilities at each extra care housing scheme, such as a communal lounge and laundry. Some schemes have a restaurant and shop on-site, too.

All extra care housing schemes are registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

You can find out more by watching our short film about Extra care housing in Sandwell.

Supported living

You can find more information about organisations who provide domiciliary care, day care or supported living services on our Information Point Directory.

Shared Lives is a scheme provided by the council that offers a flexible form of supported living. If you are a person with a learning disability aged 16 and over or an older adult with care needs Shared Lives could be for you.

Shared Lives centres on carers sharing their home, family and community life with adults that need support. You will have your own bedroom and can do the same things you enjoy doing, such as having friends round. Your Shared Lives carer can help you with things like washing and dressing, and helping you with money and medication.

Sandwell Shared Lives Scheme is registered with the Care Quality Commission.

If you are interested in living or having some support in a Shared Lives home call our contact centre for adult social care services, Sandwell Council Enquiry.

Call: 0121 569 2266
Textphone: 0121 569 2083 (for people who are Deaf or hard of hearing)

Email: sandwell_enquiry@sandwell.gov.uk

Finding a care home

A care home may be the best choice for someone who:

  • can no longer cope in their own home, even with support and help
  • needs 24 hour care.

You can find care homes by searching the Care Home and Residential Home UK Guide which lists all of the care homes, nursing homes and residential homes in the UK.

You can also search our Information Point directory for other care homes in Sandwell.

You can check the inspection reports of care homes on the Care Quality Commission website.

It is a good idea to visit homes and have a look around. You can meet staff and residents and find out about the care provided.

What happens next?

If you, or someone you know, is considering moving into a care home you should contact us and ask for an assessment of care and support needs. We will discuss what is best, and possible, for you (or the person you care for) before deciding that moving to a care home is the best option.

If you do not need financial help from us, you make your own arrangements directly with the care home you choose. We can still offer advice and support to help you do this.

What does a care home provide?

Care homes offer services such as laundry and meals and help with personal care. Some homes offer short-term or respite stays but normally they provide more long-term or permanent care. This can be for older people, people with dementia, people with disabilities and people with mental health problems.

Someone may need to move to a care home that also provides nursing care if their illness or disability means they need regular nursing care and this cannot be given in their own home.

Do you have to pay to live in a care home?

When we arrange a place in a home for you, we will do a detailed financial assessment of your income or capital. This will be used to work out how much you should pay towards the cost of your care.

You may be able to claim extra allowances or benefits. We will offer you benefits advice to help you claim all the benefits that you are entitled to.

If you have to move to a care home because your main need is for healthcare (rather than personal or social care) then you will qualify for help under the rules about 'continuing NHS healthcare'. This means that the NHS will pay for your care. Find find out about NHS continuing healthcare.

Find out more about paying for residential care.

More information

Age UK has more information about choosing a care home, including a checklist of questions that you might want to ask.

Which? Elderly Care offer free, independent and practical advice about caring for older people across the UK.