Children in entertainment
Child Employment & Child Entertainment
We are now accepting work permits and performance licences, however we will require in-depth COVID-19 risk assessment.
You can still apply for a chaperone license online.
What is child performance?
When a child takes part in ballet/theatre performances, TV work or modelling this is classed as child performance and is regulated by Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014.
The following are controlled by the above regulations where a child of school age takes part in;
- Performances that take place during and outside of school term time.
- Public performances of amateur theatre/choir/dance groups.
- Public performances or performances involving professional bodies that will be used within the media like modelling, TV work, theatre etc.
There are three types of licence that we will issue:
Required when the child will be paid for their performance, require time off school, the performance lasts for more than four days/or the child has performed for more than four days in the six months leading up to the first date of performance applied for.
Modelling jobs require a full licence irrespective of length of job.
We do not issue six month open licences.
Please ensure you have the following documentation before applying for a licence:
Passport sized photograph
Copy of Birth Certificate and/or valid Passport
Completed Part 2 Parent/Carer Approval
Once you have these documents please apply here for a full licence.
Required when no payment is made to the child except for expenses, no time off school is required; the performance run is four days or less and the child hasn't already performed on four occasions in previous six months.
Please apply here for an exemption licence.
Body of persons licence
This is issued and renewed on an annual basis to the organisation/amateur body that in addition to satisfying the exemption criteria:
- has applied for exemption licences for at least two years
- has a static committee in place to control activity
- has a written child protection policy in place
- holds three or more performances annually, and
- has a minimum of 12 children as members.
Please contact us on for further information on how to apply for a body of persons licence.
Please email us at email@example.com or call
0121 569 8147
We are based at:
Attendance and Prosecution Service
Sandwell Council House