All food businesses that serve food to the public, whether for profit or not, need to register with the council. A food business must be registered at least 28 days before the business opens or within 28 days of taking over an existing food business.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all food businesses in Sandwell so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

How do I register my business?

Register your business

Complete the online form using the link above.

If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must answer all of the questions which apply to your business and give all the information requested. If you have any questions we will help you.

It is an offence to give information which you know is false. Once registered, we will carry out a food hygiene inspection.

Need more help? Get in touch (select new or existing food business advice).

Who needs to register?

All business that prepare, sell, store or transport food, including:

  • restaurants,
  • hotels,
  • cafes,
  • shops,
  • supermarkets,
  • staff canteens,
  • kitchens in offices or warehouses,
  • market and other stalls and;
  • fast food or ice cream vans.

Luncheon clubs operating in church halls/community kitchens that supply meals and food that requires cooking or to be kept chilled (high risk foods) are required to register. For those clubs only supplying hot and cold beverages with simple items such a toast, cake and biscuits there is unlikely to be a requirement to register.
For further information please Guidance on community and charity food provision

Premises approval

Some manufacturing food businesses need to have their food business approved by us. Certain types of food premises, generally manufacturers of products of animal origin, such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or fish processors are subject to product-specific regulations. The approval of food businesses is free of charge.

More information and details of how to apply for approval

Vehicles and stalls

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately.

If you have one or more vehicle, but no permanent premises where you operate from, like ice cream vans or hot dog vans, you must tell us where your van or trailer is normally kept within Sandwell on your registration form.

You may aalso need to apply for consent to trade within Sandwell in accordance with the requirements of the 'Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982' legislation.  Please click on the link for more information and to register for Street trading licences.

If you use stalls or vans to prepare or sell food in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details of your food business on our register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at each will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the council, local government departments and government agencies.


Once you have registered with us, you only need to tell us if:

  • there is a change of owner (food business operator),
  • the type of business changes or;
  • there is a change of address at which moveable premises (like burger vans or ice cream vehicles) are kept.

The new owner has to complete an application form.

Where can I get more information?

Furhter information can be found at Food safety advice for businesses

The Food Standards Agency also has useful information on starting a food business.  

Getting ready to start your food business

Guidance for food businesses

Other ways to contact the Environmental Health team