Keeping food waste containers clean

Residents using the food waste collection service should wrap up food wastes before placing into the outdoor food waste container. As food waste is collected for specialised treatment residents should only use the following to wrap food waste:

  • A sheet or two of newspaper can be used to wrap food waste. Other types of paper such as magazines or cardboard will be not accepted
  • Starch or paper compostable liners that are compostable and display the compostable logo, these are readily available from supermarkets and local shops 

The Council will only collect food waste from bins where any liner used is as above. Where this is not the case the bin will not be emptied and the collection crew will leave a sticker/tag on the bin indicating the problem and record the reason on the waste collection software. The resident will need to take action to remedy the problem and wait until the next scheduled collection.