My Sandwell Login/Register

Paying for care and support | Sandwell Council

£150 Council Tax Energy Rebate - what you need to do next

The Council Tax Energy Rebate is a £150 payment to help with the cost of energy bills. The funding is provided by the Government and paid out by the Council. Find out what you need to do next. →

Paying for care and support

Some services that we provide are free. This includes equipment, some adaptations to your home and telecare.

Intermediate care services we provide over the short term (Fast Response and STAR) are also free.

We will work out what you have to pay for other services as part of your care and support assessment.

You can also use the care cost calculator to help you understand more about the way care works, what you need to think about and how much you may have to pay.

Paying for care at home

Most people who get care and support at home will be assessed for a personal budget.

We will work out:

  • how much the services and support you need will cost
  • how much you can afford to pay, based on your income and savings.

Find out more about how we work out what you can afford to pay.

Direct payments

We want people to have as much control as possible over their support, so you may be given the option of managing any money that we give you yourself, through a direct payment. 

Paying for residential care

If you have to move to a care home, you may be able to get help with your care costs. This will depend on your income, savings and any other capital you may have.

Find out more about paying for residential care.

Help from the NHS pay for care

If your main or primary need for care relates to your health (rather than personal or social care) then the NHS may be responsible for your care services and could provide these free of charge. You can find out more about this on the NHS Choices website.

Help to manage your finances

If you, or someone you know, is getting social care services and is having difficulty because they cannot safely manage their finances, our Appointeeship Unit may be able to help.