My Sandwell Login/Register

Benefits you may be entitled to | Sandwell Council

You'll need photo ID to vote at a polling station at the local elections in May

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. Find out about Voter ID and how to get free photo ID if you need it →

Benefits you may be entitled to

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax free benefit for people aged 65 or over who are physically or mentally disabled and require help with their personal care or require supervision to remain safe. Attendance Allowance is not means tested, there are no national insurance tests and is paid in addition to any other benefits.

Bereavement Allowance

Bereavement Allowance is payable if you were aged 45 or over when your spouse /civil partner died and is payable for 52 weeks following their death. Bereavement Allowance cannot be paid above state pension age. If your spouse or civil partner's national insurance record was incomplete, the amount payable is reduced.

Budgeting Loans

Budgeting Loans are paid through social fund. You have to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit and been in receipt of the qualifying benefit for 26 weeks before the decision in regards to the loan and you application must be for certain categories.

Carer's Allowance

Carers Allowance is paid to carers who are regularly caring for 35 hours or more per week for a severely disabled person. It is not means tested and the person being cared for has to be in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit and there is an earnings limit whereby if earnings are above £102.00 per week there is no entitlement.

Child Benefit

You can get child benefit if you are responsible for a child or young person and it is not means tested unless you are a higher rate taxpayer.

Child Tax Credits

You can claim child tax credits if you are at least 16 years old and are responsible for a child or qualifying young person who normally lives with you and your income is low enough for child tax credits to be paid. Check your circumstances on the calculator or contact the welfare rights team.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax is a domestic property based tax paid to the local authority to help pay for the services it provides. Council Tax reduction can be claimed if your income is low enough for help. See the online calculator to see if you may be eligible to claim.

Disability Living Allowance

For new claimants personal independent payment (PIP) has replaced disability living allowance. However, disability living allowance is claimed for children less than 16 years of age.

If you are an adult and currently receive disability living allowance you will at some point be reassessed for personal independent payment unless you have reached the age of 65.

If you receive disability living allowance and your condition deteriorates if you request the claim to be reviewed then it will be assessed as a new PIP claim unless you are over the age 65 and in these cases only the care part can be looked at and increased.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and support allowance (ESA) is paid to people whose ability to work is limited because ill health or disability. Your eligibility for this benefit is tested under the work capability assessment. Employment and support allowance has two elements, contributory ESA and income related depending on your circumstances.

Guardian's Allowance

This is a tax free benefit for anyone looking after effectively orphans. It does not depend on your income or savings or whether you have paid national insurance contributions and it can be paid along with child benefit.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help people pay their rent if their income is low enough when assessed. See the online calculator to see if you may be eligible to claim.

Hardship Payments

If your benefit is sanctioned, suspended or disallowed or there is delay in making a decision on your claim you may be entitled to reduced rate hardship payments. The amount received is reduced by 40% of a person applicable amount or 20% in certain circumstances. Payments are not made for the first two weeks unless your situation is considered vulnerable.

Income Support

Income support is a means tested benefit or income related benefit, intended to provide certain living expenses for you or your partner if you have one. It can be paid on its own or as a top up with certain other benefits or for people who's earning are low and when income is below the applicable amount set for them.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

This is benefit that someone can claim if you have an injury at work.

Job Seeker's Allowance

Job Seeker's Allowance is paid to people from the age of 18 who are actively seeking employment. You can receive contribution based job seeker's allowance or income based job seeker's allowance dependent upon you and/or your partners circumstances.

Maternity Allowance

Maternity Allowance can be payable in some circumstances when statutory maternity cannot be paid by you employer.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a means tested benefit for people who have reached a qualifying age. It can top up your income to the minimum level set by the government. Please check the online calculator.

Personal Independence Payment

This is a non means tested benefit which has replaced disability living allowance for people who are disabled either physically or mentally and who need extra care and support with their daily living. It is made up of two components, mobility and care. If you have certain care needs and problems outdoors you may qualify for personal independent payments.

Retirement Pension

This benefit is based on you national insurance contribution and paid when you reach retirement age.

Short term benefits

You may be able to get an advance payment of your benefit award, called a short term advance, if there is a delay with your claim or in paying your benefit and because of the delay you are in financial need.

Working Tax Credit

Entitlement to working tax credits depends on your age and how many hours of paid work you do a week. Your income and circumstances will also affect how much you get.

Get help with benefits