My Sandwell Login/Register

Report dumped rubbish (fly-tipping) | Sandwell Council

Report dumped rubbish (fly-tipping)

Fly-tipping is illegally dumped waste. It might be household rubbish, garden waste, mattresses, construction materials (like bricks and rubble) or electrical items (fridges and freezers).

Report fly-tipping

Fly tipping 1

Fly-tipping can be dangerous, pollute land and waterways and costs the taxpayer significant amounts of money to clear away.

If you are worried that the fly-tipping is a danger to the public, for example if it is blocking a road or there are dumped chemicals, please call us immediately on 0121 368 1177. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am to 5.30pm.

If it's not dangerous, please fill in the form.

Fly-tipping enforcement

Fly tipping 3

In Sandwell, you will be issued with a £400 fixed penalty notice if you are caught fly-tipping.

We use CCTV and reports from the public to help identify the perpetrators of fly-tipping incidents. We also share images of fly-tipping and appeals for information on our fly-tipping wall of shame.

The dumping of controlled waste is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £20,000 (unlimited if indicted to the Crown Court) or an offender can even be sent to prison.

It is also an offence to permit (or allow) fly-tipping.

Fly-tipping is often associated with dumping waste from vehicles. The person in charge of the vehicle can also be prosecuted, which means it is possible for a prosecution to happen when only the vehicle, not the driver, can be identified. The police also have powers to seize vehicles used for fly-tipping.

Householder's responsibilities

Fly tipping 2

By law, you are responsible for making sure the person who collects your waste is a licensed waste carrier.

From 1 March 2020, householders in Sandwell face a £400 fixed penalty notice in the following situations:

  • where fly-tipped waste can be traced back to an individual who is found to have failed to take reasonable steps to ensure they transferred the waste to an authorised person
  • where an unauthorised carrier is found to be carrying household waste that was directly transferred to them by the householder
  • where an individual is found to have transferred their household waste to an unauthorised person at a site that does not have a permit or exemption

To check if people are registered/licensed:

  • ask to see their waste carrier’s certificate - they should show you the original copy
  • do not use waste contractors that won’t show you this
  • keep a record of their details in case they fly-tip your waste and it is traced back to you

You can instantly check their waste carrier licence by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or visiting the Environment Agency's public register.

Bulky waste collections

We provide a bulky waste collection service for Sandwell residents living in houses or flats who have large household items such as furniture, fridges, freezers and other things that won't fit in your bin.

Book a bulky waste collection

Tip opening hours