By law, you are responsible for making sure the person who collects your waste is a licensed waste carrier.
From 1 March 2020, householders in Sandwell face a £400 fixed penalty notice in the following situations:
- where fly-tipped waste can be traced back to an individual who is found to have failed to take reasonable steps to ensure they transferred the waste to an authorised person
- where an unauthorised carrier is found to be carrying household waste that was directly transferred to them by the householder
- where an individual is found to have transferred their household waste to an unauthorised person at a site that does not have a permit or exemption
To check if people are registered/licensed:
- ask to see their waste carrier’s certificate - they should show you the original copy
- do not use waste contractors that won’t show you this
- keep a record of their details in case they fly-tip your waste and it is traced back to you
You can instantly check their waste carrier licence by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or visiting the Environment Agency's public register.