Why has a reminder been sent to me?

Our records show you have not made your monthly payments as shown on your Council Tax bill, this may include late payments or payments below the required amount.

Payments are recorded on your account when we actually receive the money. You must allow time for your bank to send the payments to us or for the post to reach us if you have paid in this way.

To pay the amount due now you can make a payment online on the Council Tax Online Payment page. You can also call the Council’s Automated Telephone Payments line on 0300 456 0514 and make a payment using your debit or credit card. Both of these are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Direct Debit is the safest and easiest way to pay your Council Tax. You can set one up now easily online. You just tell your bank or building society that you want us to take monthly payments direct from your account. You will never miss another payment.

I have received a Reminder Notice. Can I pay by Direct Debit?

You need to pay the outstanding amount shown on the Reminder Notice first. Then you can set up a Direct Debit online. Alternatively you can contact a Customer Advisor who can take a card payment over the phone and then set up the Direct Debit for you.

I have received a Reminder but my instalment has already been paid

If you have paid the full amount shown on the Reminder Notice and your payment has crossed with the reminder and now been credited to your account, no further action will be taken. To check if your payment has been credited to your account please check on our online portal. If the payment has not been credited to your account you should contact a Customer Advisor.

I have received a Final Notice for my Council Tax asking for the full year’s charge. Can I just bring my instalments up to date instead?

Once a Final Notice has been issued you have lost your right to pay Council Tax by instalments and the whole outstanding balance is now due. If you are unable to pay the balance in full as instructed on the final notice then you should contact us as soon as possible to discuss an alternative payment arrangement.

Please note: a summons will still be issued even after making a payment arrangement - this is to make sure that we are still able to collect the debt if you fail to make the agreed payments.

I am unable to make a Council Tax payment, what should I do?

You should contact a Customer Advisor immediately. Advisors can consider making a ‘Special Arrangement’ (or ‘SPA’) with you. Recovery action and Court/Summons Costs may still be charged but the Council will consider removing the Summons costs at the end of the process if this is your first time you have failed to pay and you have kept to the payment scheduled agreed with the Council for the SPA. Do not ignore the Reminder Notice as recovery action may be taken against you and you will be charged additional costs that will not be removed.

What happens if I have an outstanding claim for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes known as Council Tax Benefit)?

You still need to pay your current instalments while your claim is being considered. This is because your claim may not be successful. If you would like to check the progress of your claim please contact a Customer Advisor.

I have an outstanding Appeal against my Council Tax Band with the Valuation Office or awaiting a reduction by the Council. Do I still need to pay?

You cannot withhold payment of your Council Tax while an appeal is outstanding, whether it is against the existing Council Tax Band or the award of discounts or exemptions. If your appeal is successful your account will be adjusted and any overpaid Council Tax will be refunded to you. For queries relating to your Council Tax Band please visit the Valuation Tribunal Officefor further information.