Police and council teams in Sandwell are targeting nuisance being caused by off-road motorbikes.

You can report motorbike nuisance to independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via the Crimestoppers website or use the Live Chat on West Midlands Police's website.

Report motorbike nuisance to the council

You can also report other anti-social behaviour to the council.

People riding motorbikes illegally face arrest and having their bikes seized and crushed.

Although motorbikes can be ridden on private land, the rider must have the land owner's permission.

Riding motorbikes in public open spaces, or without a private land owner’s permission, can result in prosecution.

What the police and council are doing

  • Riders are being warned of the dangers they are putting themselves and others in.
  • Footage from council-monitored CCTV cameras is helping police track down people involved in anti-social behaviour, so motorbikes can be seized and perpetrators taken to court.

Report motorbike nuisance to the council

The law relating to off-road motorbikes

  • Off-road bikes are classed as motor vehicles and as such must be constructed to a specific standard in order to be ridden on a public highway. The majority of off-road bikes which are used in an anti-social manner in Sandwell do not meet these standards.
  • Off-road vehicles include moto cross, trial and endurance bikes, mini motos, quad bikes, electric scooters and any other mechanically propelled vehicle.

Off-road bikes must also have the following to be used legally on a public highway:

  • A log book and be registered with the DVLA
  • Road tax
  • A valid MOT
  • Be fitted with lights
  • Be fitted with registration plates

The riders must also:

  • Be aged 17 or over (16 if the vehicles is classified as a moped)
  • Hold a valid driving licence
  • Have valid motor insurance
  • Wear suitable safety equipment (i.e. a helmet)

Where the conditions above are not met it is illegal to use an off-road motorbike on the road. It is the responsibility of the rider to know the law and offence can be committed under the Road Traffic Act (1998) and the Police Reform Act (2002).

Off-road bikers must have the permission of the landowner to ride on private land. It’s illegal to ride an off-road bike on any land not forming part of a road or any road which is a footpath or bridleway without the landowner’s permission.

Even if permission is gained, if the person is riding dangerously or carelessly they could be prosecuted.