Here you will find advice on what the council can do during flooding and who to contact if you need help.

Life threatening emergencies

If it is a life threatening emergency, for example if someone is trapped in a vehicle or in a property by flood water, always call 999.

Blocked drains

The drains you see at the side of the road (known as gullies) are cleaned by the council. These gullies lead into the sewers.

Flooding can sometimes be caused by blocked gullies but more often, when we have rain storms, it's because of the overwhelming amount of water trying to get into the sewers.

If flood water has not drained away an hour after the rain has stopped, you can report a blocked drain online.

Please only use this link if the water has not gone down an hour after the rain has stopped.

Flooded roads

If a road is flooded and blocked to traffic, contact our highways team on 0121 368 1177, 8am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

If it is outside normal office hours, call our emergency number.

The council will arrange for a diversion around a road that is temporarily flooded due to a flash flood event.

Missing or lifted manhole covers and drains

If a manhole or drain cover is missing, or if it has dropped down, or is sticking up enough to be dangerous to traffic or pedestrians, call highways on 0121 368 1177, 8am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

If it is outside normal office hours, call our emergency number.


If there is sewage in your home or on the road, contact Severn Trent.

Water in your home (council tenant)

If you are a council tenant and there is water inside your home or your electrics have been affected, please contact the housing repairs team on 0121 569 6000, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm.

If it is outside office hours, please contact our emergency repairs service.

Water in your home (private owner, private rental or housing association)

If you rent your home, contact your landlord or housing association and your household insurer. You don't need to report flooding of your home to the council.

If you own your home, contact your household insurer.

Please do

  • Do keep your insurance company details handy so you can find them.
  • Make sure you take photographs of any damage to your property or belongings - these will be helpful to your insurance company.

Please don't

  • Do not drive down flooded roads. You not only risk damaging your vehicle, but you may also push flood water into homes and businesses.
  • Do not walk or cycle in flood water - there could be a raised manhole or other debris that could injure you.
  • Do not try to lift drain or manhole covers - this is very dangerous.
  • Do not swim, paddle or play in flood water - it could be mixed with sewage or debris.

Click here to view the Councils Flood Relief Policy.