If you are experiencing hardship or facing a crisis, then you might be able to get some short term help.

Advance payments

Ask your work coach for an advance payment - this will help you to manage until you get your first Universal Credit payment, but it will have to be repaid from your future payments.

Managed payments

If you are having difficulty in paying your rent your landlord can ask for the rent be paid direct to them. Find out more about managed payments.

Local Welfare Provision

In cases of hardship the council can provide help with food and fuel. Find out more about Local Welfare Provision.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you get Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit, but you're still finding it difficult to meet the shortfall in your rent (the difference between how much you get in benefit and how much your rent actually costs) then you may be entitled to some help. 
This is called a Discretionary Housing Payment or DHP. Find out more about DHP.