You can ask for a carer’s assessment if you provide unpaid emotional or physical support to family members or friends and you feel you need some support. If more than one person provides care to a family member or friend, all carers are entitled to an assessment.

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for has refused an assessment themselves. You could also be eligible for support in your own right whether the person you care for has eligible needs or not.

To get a carer’s assessment contact us. Email or call 0121 569 2266. 

Before the assessment, you might want to think about your situation and write down some notes to remind you. Here are some things you may wish to think about.

  • Are you able or willing to continue to carry out this caring role?
  • Do you want to get or keep a job, or do voluntary work?
  • Is your health affected due to caring?
  • Are you able to get out and about?
  • Do you get any time for yourself?
  • Are you able to do the things you enjoy?
  • Is your family or social life affected?
  • Do you need support with managing finances, claiming benefits or filling in forms?
  • Is the person you care for getting enough help?
  • What would happen if you became ill and how do you wish to plan for the longer term/ future?
  • What would make life easier for you?

After your assessment, if you are entitled to support, we will agree a support plan with you to plan how to meet your needs. You will need to re-apply for an assessment each year if your needs continue.