Extra care housing is for people over 55 who need some support or care to live independently. Single people or couples can apply.

You may be thinking of moving because you:

  • have had changes in your life, such as bereavement
  • have health problems
  • are worried about your safety living at home
  • are lonely and feeling cut off from other people.

If so, extra care housing could be a good choice.

Extra care housing schemes have self-contained apartments, each with one or two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge and bathroom or shower room. Most schemes have shared facilities, such as lounges, hairdressers, library services and a laundry. Some also have a restaurant, an on-site shop and computer room. Each scheme will have different facilities.

Care or support staff are on duty 24 hours a day, and all apartments have an emergency alarm system.

All schemes have activities for you to get involved in, so you can make new friends and take up new hobbies if you want to. You can have friends to stay and some schemes even have guest rooms if it's going to be a bit crowded in your flat. You may have to pay extra for the use of guest facilities and for certain activities.

Extra care housing is your own home. Most apartments are for rent however some schemes also run shared ownership schemes.

All extra care housing schemes must be registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Where are the schemes?

We currently have vacancies for a new build extra care scheme situated at Willow Gardens, Rowley Regis, at the bottom of Powke Lane. To qualify you must be aged 55+ and have social care needs and, be eligible to join Sandwell’s Housing Register. Please contact us to find out more.

There are supported living and extra care schemes throughout Sandwell. Willow Gardens in Rowley Regis, Goldfield Court in Greets Green, West Bromwich, and Oakley Gardens in Dial Lane are our most recently built extra care schemes. Oxford Road, a Supported Living development in West Bromwich, also has bungalows and flats available for adults (18 and over) with care and support needs.

You can arrange to have a look around the scheme you are interested in before you apply to go on the waiting list. You can also approach schemes directly if you are interested in shared ownership.

How much does it cost?

The amount of rent, service and support charges will depend on the size of the apartment and the services provided. All the schemes have different charges.

You may qualify for help. Our welfare rights service can give advice about how moving into extra care housing will affect you financially, and what benefits you can claim. It is a good idea to find this out before you move into an extra care scheme.

How do I apply?

If you want to find out more, email us at sandwell_enquiry@sandwell.gov.uk or phone us on 0121 569 2266.