Rent a council property

Every week, we advertise a list of the houses, flats etc we have available to rent. The system we use is known as 'choice based lettings' or 'CBL'.

To register for a property

To apply to rent a council property you will first need to register with our choice based lettings scheme. This allows you to make a choice about where you live.

Once you are registered and if you meet the right criteria you can bid for a property. Bidding means expressing an interest in a property and does not involve money

There are more people looking for council homes in Sandwell than there are properties available. As a result, you may experience a long wait before we are able to find you a home. We recommend you also consider other housing options, for example housing associations or private renting.

To join the housing register you must be aged 18 or over, and be legally living in the UK. You will also need to meet certain criteria. If you meet the criteria, you will need to complete a registration form, and send or return it to your nearest Local Centre. Once we have processed your application you will receive a letter along with your membership number. If we are unable to register your application we will write to you to tell you why.


To register, you will need to meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are an existing Sandwell Council or housing association tenant living in Sandwell.        
  • You have lived in Sandwell for five years or more continuously and you do not own a property.
  • You do not live in Sandwell and do not own a property but have a close family member (mother, father, brother, sister or adult child) who has lived in Sandwell for five years or more continuously.
  • You are Armed Forces personnel and have served in the regular forces for five years prior to your application.
  • You are a bereaved spouse or civil partner of someone serving in the regular forces where your partner's death is attributable to their service and you can no longer live in Ministry of Defence accommodation.
  • You are a seriously injured, ill or disabled current or former reservist whose injury, illness or disability is attributable to your service.

Additional special circumstances may also enable you to register to live in Sandwell.

If you have joined our housing register you can apply for a property. We call this 'bidding' - but don't worry, it doesn't involve any money.

Once you're on the register you can 'bid' for up to three properties you are interested in each week. Find out more about bidding from our frequently asked questions page.

Only applicants who have a child aged 16 years or under moving with them and for whom they claim child benefit will be eligible to receive an offer of a house.

Find and bid for properties

You can also see the properties we have available in our Property Shop Newsletter.

Bidding for the first time?

Before you can bid, you need to register for our online service to get a username and password to access our online bidding system.

When is the best time to bid?

The latest list of available properties goes live every Wednesday and is available until midnight on the following Monday.

There is no need to rush to the website first thing on a Wednesday - we don't give preference to people who bid first.

You can log on any time during the week up until midnight on Monday to check which properties are available and bid on them if you are interested. Properties are not given on a first come, first served basis.

Please note - you can't bid on a Tuesday.

If you are bidding for a property, please be aware that this website is often very busy when properties become available on a Wednesday.

To make changes to your application

If your circumstances have changed since you completed your original application form, you will need to complete the change of circumstances form and the tenancy reference form. Once completed you will need to take or send it to your nearest Local centre.