Important notice about payments (rent, council tax and other bills)

Due to essential maintenance, we won't be able to take payments over the phone or online between 12pm on Monday 16 July and 12pm on Tuesday 17 July. Cashiers desks at local offices will also be closed

Short breaks for parents and carers of children with disabilities


  • Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children (SPDC) offers  a range of activities for disabled children and their families. Click here for details of activities taking place in the Summer holidays 2018. If you need a booking form please contact SPDC using the phone number in the flyer.
  • The Creative Academies Network has a range of activities on offer for young people, including those with SEND. Click here to visit their website to see what's on.
  • SENSE is running a FREE Multi Sports Club every Thursday 5.30-7pm at the Portway Lifestyle Centre, Oldbury. It is open to young people aged 14 - 25 with a sensory impairment or with additional needs. The sports club will host a range of adapted sports and games. Family members, carers and siblings are welcome to take part. To book a place or for more information contact Callan Barber by email or call 07813 825 571

  • Tipton Town Football Club is offering all-inclusive disability football sessions for children (aged 7-16) with additional needs or a disability. The sessions take place every Thursday at RSA Academy, Tipton, DY4 0BZ, 5.30 - 6.30. To register please call Matt on 07896 661257 or Jon on 07874 976416. You must register first - you cannot turn up and play.

Why are short breaks important?

Breaks for parents and carers of disabled children are important for their health and well-being. As well as giving them a break from their caring duties they give them the opportunity to spend time with other children and to take part in their own leisure and recreational activities. They also provide disabled children with the opportunity to experience positive activities which they might not otherwise be able to do.

Under the 1989 Children Act and the 2011 Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulations the Local Authority is under a duty to provide a range of short breaks that meets the needs of parent / carers in its area. It also has a duty to produce a Short Breaks Services Statement which sets out how the range of short breaks provided meets the identified needs of parents and carers in the area. Some short breaks are provided through social care and may include residential overnight stays or personal assistant support within the home. Others are available to a wider group of disabled children and may be provided by statutory or voluntary organisations.

If you are the parent or carer of a child with a disability we have a list of the specially commissioned short break services that are available without the need for the involvement of social care. 

If you have a social worker from the Children with Disabilities Team please talk to them about other short breaks that may be available to meet your needs

Leisure activities in Sandwell are managed primarily by Sandwell Leisure Trust. Contact them to find out details of activities for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities including the Portway Disability Doorstep Sports Club (for more information contact Mandy Williams on 0121-506-4980).

You can find a comprehensive list of activities taking place in Sandwell, including those for children and young people with SEND, on the Discover Sandwell website

The Family Information Service (FIS) can also provide details of school holiday events and activities for children with disabilities. Additionally the new FIS information hub has a wealth of information about services to support families in Sandwell (including those with SEND).

You can check to see if you are eligible for a particular type of short break.

Contact us

If you are interested in any of the activities or would like to find out more call 0121 569 4914.

You may also be interested in