We always want to hear from people who are interested in adoption. We have children of all ages and backgrounds who need a stable family home.
You don't have to live in Sandwell. We welcome enquiries from across the West Midlands and surrounding areas.
- Call 0800 358 0899 and ask for 'adoption duty' during office hours, or leave a message and we will call you back. For all other adoption related enquiries, call the Family Placements Team on 0121 569 3101.
- Complete our online enquiry form
- Email: email@example.com
If you are already in the process of adopting a child, call 0121 569 3101.
Adoption information events
You can always find out more about adoption at one of our regular information events, run in partnership with Adoption Black Country. Whether you want to know a lot or a little please come along, we would love to meet you.
Our next adoption information event will be:
Wednesday September 20 at 6:00 pm
YCA – Greets Green Access Centre
Our information events start at 6pm on weekday evenings, or at 10.30am on Saturday mornings, unless otherwise stated. No need to register in advance – just come along to find out more.
By attending a meeting you are not committing yourself in any way - it is simply a chance for you to get some answers to your questions.
What is adoption?
Adoption is the legal process which transfers all the rights and responsibilities of the parents over to an adoptive family. In other words, an adopted child would become legally yours in every way that a birth child would be.
Adoption is a life-long commitment. It is a way of providing a permanent new family for children who are unable to live with their own parents.
Adoption and fostering are different. If you would like to know more about fostering, visit our fostering information page.
Who can adopt?
Some people are reluctant to enquire about adoption as they think they won't be considered. More people can apply to adopt than you may think.
Please don't rule yourself out until you have spoken to us.
What is important is that you:
- have a spare bedroom and space in the rest of your home
- have the time to dedicate to caring for children
- can offer a secure and stable home
- are patient, tolerant and resilient
- are 21 years old or above.
Did you know that it doesn't matter if you:
- are single, married or cohabiting
- are in a same sex relationship
- are of any ethnicity, religion or culture
- are employed or unemployed
- rent or own your home
- already have children or not.
Please note that if you are undergoing or have recently undergone any fertility treatment, we do ask you to wait at least six months before applying to adopt.
Find out more
You can also visit Adoption in the Black Country to find out more about our work across the region.
Our aims and objectives
Find out what our adoption service wants to achieve in our adoption service statement of purpose.
For lots of further information about adoption, we recommend you visit the Coram/BAAF website.