Is your Council Tax bill correct?

There are several ways you can reduce your Council Tax bill.

Single person discount 

A single person discount of 25% may be awarded where there is only one adult over the age of 18 living at a property. You can apply for a discount, remove your discount or get information on our single person discount reviews on our single person discount page. 

Reductions for people with disabilities

You may be entitled to a Council Tax disabled reduction if you are disabled or have a disabled person living with you.


Full time students, student nurses and foreign language assistants can claim a discount of up to 100% on their Council Tax bill. Visit our student page for more information and to apply for your discount. 

Other discounts

Council Tax is calculated on the basis that there two or more people above the age of 18 residing in a property. When counting the number of occupants some people are ignored (disregarded) for Council Tax purposes.

A number of Council Tax discounts can be claimed as long as certain criteria is met. 

Any job-related property which is not somebody's sole or main residence may be considered as a second home and will attract a 50% discount.


A full exemption from Council Tax may apply for both occupied and unoccupied properties.

A number of Council Tax exemptions can be claimed as long as certain criteria is met. 

Please note the following properties no longer receive any discount or exemption and are liable for 100% of their Council Tax bill:

  • empty and unfurnished
  • empty and furnished
  • undergoing major works/structural repairs
  • non job-related second home.

Any property which has been empty and unfurnished for two years or more will be charged an additional 100% Empty Homes premium. In any such case this will mean that you will be liable for 200% of your Council Tax bill.

Council Tax reduction

Council Tax reduction is a means tested benefit, which is paid to people to help pay their Council Tax.

Find out how to apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Third Party Authorisation

Please be aware that we can only discuss an account with the person named on the bill. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form.


Council Tax Discretionary Relief Policy

Sandwell Council is reviewing its existing Council Tax Discretionary Relief Policy and is considering including new criteria which applies to care leavers.  

A draft copy of the Council Tax Discretionary Relief Policy is available for further detail.

If you would like to comment or give feedback on the policy please email: