Museums for schools
You can teach so much more than history in a museum!
Sandwell Museum Service provides a wide range of experience days and creative learning activities for schools across the curriculum and topic areas; we are also happy to work with you to help create your perfect day. Scroll down the page to find out more information and phone our sites to book and for booking forms and guidance notes (please don't phone on Mondays)
Covid 19 - Corona Virus
Due to the current outbreak our museums are currently closed. This also means that all events and activities have been postponed, regular community groups, school visits and bookings have been cancelled. We are currently planning for phased re-opening later in the year in accordance with government guidelines.
We are not currently accepting bookings from schools for 2020 until we can be sure we can fulfil guidelines and provide a safe environment as our buildings are quite small. We are hoping for clarification once the new term starts in September
We're still here! - Sandwell Museums continues to provide a lively programme of events, interactive activities, things to get involved with, blogs, object showcases, videos, blogs, talks etc on our social media platforms so follow us on facebook, twitter and Instagram.
We are currently not taking school bookings.
Find out about what sessions we offer
Keep checking this site as we are developing new activities all the time and have some exciting new sessions being planned! You can also contact us if you have a project or bespoke visit in mind, we have undertaken all sorts of activities across the curriculum.
Please note - School visits and outreach sessions are available from February to December. They are not available in January. Please give us at least 4 weeks notice before you would like your session. We are a small team and need to ensure staffing is available etc.
Information on how to book is below
Follow the link and find out about the sessions we offer for pupils at key stage 1 - From old toys, seaside, houses and homes, time travelling, fairytales (coming soon), William Morris (coming soon) and one off exhibitions and activities. We also off a variety of Loan boxes and outreach for all ages groups
Follow the link and discover what sessions and activities are available for students at key stage 2 - From Tudor and Victorian Living History, local history projects, SPOOCS, Junior ghost hunting, Home Front in World War II, Egyptians and literacy sessions. We also have a variety of Loan boxes and Egyptian outreach for all ages groups
Outreach Sessions for KS1&2
We offer our "Mummy's Head" Egyptians outreach session to schools - this is because we have a range of real Egyptian artefacts we can bring out for the students to examine, explore and discover. We don't provide other outreach sessions as our museum buildings are our biggest asset and it is our fantastic houses which provide the awe and wonder which inspire, motivate and captivate students. All our other sessions take place within the context of our museums.
Key stage three and above
At KS3 and above we are happy to tailor make a session to fulfil your needs across the curriculum. We have undertaken projects around gothic horror stories, citizenship, The Tudors, local history, heritage buildings, art, film making etc. Call or e-mail us to see what is possible. We also offer a variety of Loan boxes and outreach for all ages groups
Work Experience and Work Placements
Find out more about doing your work experience or college placement with Sandwell Museums - please be aware of the kinds of activities we undertake before you apply.
Booking your school visit
Before you contact us
1. Ensure you know what session you are looking at doing or if you are looking at a mash up of sessions or something bespoke and how many children you are looking at bringing.
2. Please have some possible dates in mind which you would like to visit - please check the listings to see what days we are able to do what sessions on. Please be aware that we may already be booked for your first choice of days so it is useful to have a few options available.
Contact the relevant site.
- To book your school visit telephone the relevant site to check availability.
- If staff are not available when you phone please leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible (please don't phone on Mondays)
- Staff are available at sites to take your calls on the following days. It is best to phone on these days if possible: Oak House - Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays and Friday morning, Haden Hill House - Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, Wednesbury Museum - Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday, The Manor House any day but please leave a message if staff are not available.
- You can also make initial enquiries via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . However please state which session you are looking to book for and what date or dates you are interested in. All the information about our sessions can be found above by clicking the relevant links.
- Once a provisonal booking is made, our staff with e-mail you with the booking form and guidance notes for teachers bringing the class. Please make sure the teacher in charge of the group reads these notes
- You can also e-mail or telephone us if you are interested in organising a one off project with us or the information contained in the links above does not tell you what you need to know at email@example.com.
- We are available for visits from school groups from February to December.
Sandwell Museums offers work experience and placements. We would expect our work experience students to be able to work at all our main sites as required. If you're interested in Sandwell Museums as a possible work experience you should register your interest.
Costs may vary if we put together a session for you, or if we create a session for you from relevant parts of other sessions. We can discuss this with you when we organise your visit.
Find out more about our sites
- The Oak House - 0121 553 0759 (teachers should wear low heels or flat shoes due to the nature of the site - no stilettos please)
- Haden Hill House - 01384 569 444
- Wednesbury Museum and Art Gallery - 0121 556 0683
- The Manor House Museum - 0121 588 2985
Why bring your class to a museum?
- Museums offer a unique learning environment where children can learn in a completely different way to how they would learn in the classroom.
- Museums can inspire and motivate.
- Museums can stimulate all the senses, as well as nurture creativity.
- Activity sessions in museums can provide an holistic approach to learning, working across the curriculum at the same time, using topics from history and art, to speaking and listening, creativity, English and citizenship. They can cover whole topics in a few hours.
- Museum work can also be the basis of projects and follow up work back at school, including
Information Communications Technology (ICT) and design and technology.
- Children who often find traditional classroom based activities difficult respond well to the hands on and visual nature of museum visits.
- Museums offer children a taste of the past which they can see, smell, touch and hear.
Why visit Sandwell museums?
Sandwell museums offer a wide range of activities across our sites as well as loan boxes covering a wide range of topics.
Our sessions have been carefully tailored to meet the needs of the national curriculum for different key stages and we aim to continuously develop them by listening to teachers and children to meet changing needs. We are also very happy to work with teachers on specific one-off projects at any of our sites.
Why not speak to us about using our collection?
Why not email or call us about using our collections in your learning. 'Things' make up our world so are an excellent learning tool, inspiring curiosity and encouraging questioning and critical thinking skills. Learn more about our collection.
We are not just here for KS1 and KS2
Our buildings, collections and staff are also a brilliant resource for KS3 and 4 students. We have a pack for teachers around using Oak House for Geography and local history and we are happy to work with you to put together your perfect project.