Library news and events
Sandwell Libraries and Archives Update 19 July 2021
We have revised our opening hours, please see the Library Details section. All libraries in Sandwell now offer browsing, Order and Collect, computers and study spaces, except Oldbury Library, which offers order and Collect and PCs only.
Please note that Oldbury Library is now located in Sandwell Council House, using the main reception entrance (Members' entrance on Saturdays). It has moved from Jack Judge House.
The Archives Service has also restarted services, by appointment only. To book, please call 0121 569 4985.
From 19 July, we will be gradually extending our open days over the coming weeks, and we will update this website with any changes. We are working with Sandwell Council and Public Health to do this as soon as we can in the safest way possible, with the health and safety of our customers and staff at the centre of its planning. In the meantime we continue to offer our Order and Collect service, and customers can come into our libraries to browse. Computer use and studying sessions can also be booked.
There is no need to make an appointment to browse but you do need to bring your library membership card with you. You will not be able to enter the library without this. If you have lost your membership card, please phone your library during opening hours to arrange a new card.
You will need to use the self-service kiosks to borrow items.
To keep you safe, we will be limiting the number of customers allowed into the library at any one time. Browsing will be limited to 20 minutes.
A limited number of study tables are available in each library. Study time will be limited to 90 minutes. You must book an appointment to study in the library – see Library Details section.
You will need to bring your library membership card with you. You will not be able to enter the library without this. If you have lost your membership card, please phone your library during opening hours to arrange a new card.
Order and Collect
Customers can reserve items using this website, or by phoning one of the libraries. Library staff will then contact customers when items are available, to arrange a date and time for collection.
A number of computers are available for use in each of the libraries, including printing, which need to be booked in advance by phone.
Items can also be returned into drop-boxes at those libraries during the specified times as shown in the Library Details section.
- Central Library (use entrance on Town Hall Car Park) Monday: 9.30am-7pm; Tuesday-Friday: 9.30am-6pm; Saturday: 10am-4pm. 0121 569 4900.
- Blackheath Library Monday, Wednesday: 9.30am–5.30pm; Saturday: 10am–4pm. 0121 569 4920.
- Bleakhouse Library Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 9am–1pm, 2pm-5.30pm; Saturday: 10am–4pm. 0121 569 4923.
- Brandhall Library Tuesday: 10am–1pm, 2pm-5.30pm. Saturday: 10am–2pm.0121 569 4924.
- Cradley Heath Library Tuesday, Friday: 10am–1pm, 2pm-5pm. Saturday: 10am–2pm. 0121 569 4926.
- Glebefields Library Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am–5pm. Saturday: 10am–2pm.0121 569 4928.
- Great Barr Library Monday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-5pm; Thursday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-4pm. Saturday: 10am–4pm. 0121 569 4929.
- Great Bridge Library Wednesday, Friday: 9.30am–5pm. Saturday: 10am–1pm.0121 569 4930.
- Hamstead Library Wednesday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-5.30pm; Friday: 9.30-1pm, 2pm-5pm. Saturday: 10am–2pm.0121 569 2548.
- Hill Top Library Monday, 1.30pm-5.30pm. Saturday: 10am–2pm.0121 569 4990.
- Langley Library Friday: 9.30-1pm, 2pm-5.30pm; Saturday: 10am–2pm 0121 569 4932. 0121 569 4932.
- Oakham Library Friday: 10am –1pm, 2pm-5pm; Saturday: 10am-2pm. 0121 569 4933.
- Oldbury Library (now located in Sandwell Council House, use main reception entrance Mon-Fri, Members' entrance on Sat) Monday to Saturday, 10am – 2pm. 0121 569 4955.
- Rounds Green Library Wednesday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-5pm. Saturday, 10am–1pm. 0121 569 4934.
- Smethwick Library Monday: 10am-5.30pm; Wednesday, Friday: 10am-5pm, Saturday: 10am–4pm, Sunday: 12pm-4pm. 0121 569 4940.
- Stone Cross Library Monday, Tuesday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-5.30pm; Friday: 9.30am-1pm, 2pm-5pm. Saturday: 10am–4pm 0121 569 4942.
- Thimblemill Library Tuesday, Wednesday : 9.00am-1pm, 2pm-6pm,Thursday: 9am–1pm, Saturday: 10am–4pm. 0121 569 4943.
- Tipton Library Monday: 9.30am-6pm. Friday: 9.30am–5pm Saturday: 10am–1pm. 0121 569 4944.
- Wednesbury Library Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9.30am-5.30pm; Saturday: 10am–4pm. 0121 569 4945.
- The number of visitors at each library will be limited. This will be different for each library.
- You may have to queue outside if the library is at full browsing capacity
- Children under 12 should be accompanied by a parent or carer
- You must use hand sanitiser when entering the library
- You must wear a face covering unless you are exempt
- We will request contact details for NHS test and trace. Alternatively, you can check in to the library by scanning the QR code on arrival
All items that were borrowed before the first lockdown have had their due date extended to 31 July 2021. Please do not renew items you have borrowed before this date.