My Sandwell Login/Register

Council Tax bandings | Sandwell Council

Supporting Sandwell with the cost of living

Supporting you to make the most of your money and find help if you need it. Find out more about how we're Supporting Sandwell. →

Council Tax bandings

Council Tax helps pay for council services (like rubbish collection, schools, libraries and social services etc.) as well as fire and police services. A separate amount is also charged to pay for Adult Social Care in Sandwell.

Council Tax charges are different for each property valuation band.

The costs for each band in 2022/23 are as follows:

Band Sandwell Council Adult Social Care Fire Police Total
A (up to £40,000) £925.94 £124.65 £45.35 £125.03 £1,220.97
B (£40,001 - £52,000) £1,080.25 £145.43 £52.91 £145.87 £1,424.46
C (£52,001 - £68,000) £1,234.58 £166.20 £60.47 £166.71 £1,627.96
D (£68,001 - £88,000) £1,388.91 £186.97 £68.03 £187.55 £1,831.46
E (£88,001 - £120,000) £1,697.55 £228.53 £83.14 £229.23 £2,238.45
F (£120,001 - £160,000) £2,006.19 £270.08 £98.26 £270.91 £2,645.44
G (£160,001 - £320,000) £2,314.84 £311.63 £113.38 £312.58 £3,052.43
H (over £320,001) £2,777.80 £373.96 £136.05 £375.10 £3,662.91

Note: The Council Tax charges shown apply to properties with two or more adults. Single person households will pay 25% less than this.

You can find out the valuations bands for properties inside and outside of Sandwell.

Comparison to 2021/22

Band Sandwell Adult Social Care Fire Police Total
Band D 2021/22 £1,359.04 £141.92 £63.04 £177.55 £1,741.55
2022/2023 £ Increase £29.87 £45.05 £4.99 £10.00 £89.91
2022/2023 % Increase 1.99% 3.00% 7.92% 5.63% 5.16%

Banding of Council Tax properties

The Council Tax banding for a property is set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and not Sandwell Council. The VOA is an independent body who are responsible for banding and any adjustments to your band as shown below: 

Can my band be removed if my property is unfit to live in? 

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) can only delete your band if a property is empty and being rebuilt or undergoing structural alterations. Find out if your band can be removed from the valuation list if your property is unfit to live in

Can my band be removed if my property is in poor repair?

The VOA cannot delete a band if a property is in poor repair. A band can only be deleted if the property is derelict and uninhabitable. For more information about removal of your band from the Valuation List if your property is in poor repair.

My property has been banded A, can this be reduced?

Band A is the lowest Council Tax band and the VOA cannot reduce this any further. Find out about properties in band A that are empty and/or derelict.

What do I do if I want to appeal/challenge my Council Tax band?

You can appeal/challenge the band that the VOA have placed your property in. Find out how to appeal/challenge the Council Tax banding of your property.

More information about the VOA

The VOA is able to provide information on everything relating to the valuation of properties. Find out about what other information is available from the VOA.