Whistleblowing is when a worker reports suspected wrongdoing at work. Officially this is called "making a disclosure in the public interest".

You can report things that aren't right, are illegal or if anyone at work is neglecting their duties, including:

  • someone's health and safety is in danger
  • damage to the environment
  • a criminal offence
  • the company isn't obeying the law (like not having the right insurance)
  • covering up wrongdoing

We have a whistleblowing policy in Sandwell.

Fill in the whistleblowing reporting form

If you feel unable to report serious matters of concern internally you can contact these organisations:

  • The external auditor;
  • Your trade union;
  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau;
  • Relevant professional bodies or regulatory organisations;
  • Protect (whistleblowing charity organisation);
  • A prescribed person or body
  • The Police.

There is more information about whistleblowing on the government website.