Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you get Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit, but you're still finding it difficult to meet the shortfall in your rent (the difference between how much you get in benefit and how much your rent actually costs) then you may be entitled to some help. 
This is called a Discretionary Housing Payment or DHP.

Each application for DHP is considered on the individual merits of the case. Payments will usually be awarded if you can show that you are experiencing financial hardship, or you have some other special circumstances causing you difficulty paying your rent.
You can also get a DHP if

  • You need help to cover the cost of a deposit on a new property
  • You need help to move into a new property
  • You are struggling to pay your rent due to a non dependent charge on your Housing Benefit. In this situation you can apply on behalf of your non dependent. 

You can apply online to get help through DHP. You will need to give details of your financial situation and any other information you feel is relevant.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

The council has a Discretionary Housing Payments Policy which is reviewed every year.

Still need help?

Contact us to discuss what to do if you are having problems paying your rent or Council Tax.

Please be aware that we can only discuss a benefit claim with the person claiming the benefit. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form.

What happens next?

Discretionary Housing payments are normally processed within 20 working days upon receipt of all the information.