Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
It is for:
- drivers or passengers with severe walking difficulties
- drivers with very severe upper limb disabilities who cannot turn the steering wheel by hand
- passengers who are registered blind.
It is not for people with occasional or temporary difficulties, such as a broken leg or other injury.
Apply for a Blue Badge
The easiest way to apply is online through the DirectGov website.
Or you can apply directly to us. Call us at Sandwell Council ASSIST on 0845 352 2266, between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday. We will do an assessment over the phone.
You will need to tell us:
- the name and address of doctor or other health professional to contact about your condition
- the car registration number of the two cars you will be most likely to use the badge in (although you can use the badge in any car)
- your national insurance number.
After the call we will write to you asking for any further information, evidence and proof of identification we need.
If you have hearing problems, we can email or send you an application form in the post.
You will have to send us a £10 fee when you send the information back. Do not send cash through the post. Make your cheque or postal order payable to Sandwell MBC.
There is more information about the Blue Badge scheme on the Directgov website. If you do not automatically qualify because of the benefits you are on, or another health condition, then we will ask for more information from your doctor.
Misuse of a Blue Badge
It is against the law for anyone other than the badge holder to use a Blue Badge. We can fine you and/or take your badge away if you misuse it.
If you think someone is misusing their badge, you should report it to us. Email email@example.com.
How to appeal
If you do not agree with our decision, you can appeal and we will look at your case again. You must send us evidence that you have a permanent disability and are unable to walk. We usually also need evidence from an independent health or other professional who can confirm your level of disability or difficulty walking.
Email, post or fax in your evidence, stating that you want to appeal, to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Sandwell Council ASSIST, PO Box 15825, Oldbury, B69 9EL
- Fax: 0121 569 5789