Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
The Blue Badge scheme allows people with enduring and substantial disabilities who travel either as drivers or passengers to park near where they want to go.
It is for:
- Drivers or passengers with an enduring and substantial disability which causes them, during a course of a journey, to:
- Be unable to walk.
- Experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress.
- Be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.
- drivers with very severe upper limb disabilities who cannot turn the steering wheel by hand
- passengers who are registered blind.
It is not for people with occasional or temporary difficulties, such as a broken leg or other injury.
Apply for a Blue Badge
The easiest way to apply is online through the DirectGov website.
Or you can apply directly to us. Call the Sandwell Enquiry Team on 0121 569 2266, between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Thursday, and 9am to 5pm on Fridays. We will complete an assessment over the phone.
Organisations wishing to apply for a Blue Badge can apply online through the link above or contact the Enquiry Team on 0121 569 2266.
You will need to tell us:
- your name, address, date of birth and place of birth
- about your difficulties whilst walking and details of any medical conditions or disabilities that cause you difficulties
- your national insurance number
- details of any previous badge you have held.
After the call we will make contact with you if we require any further information.
If you have hearing problems, we can email or send you an application form in the post.
The administration fee for a Blue Badge is £10, which you should send with other information being returned to us. Please do not send cash through the post. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Sandwell MBC.
There is more information about the Blue Badge scheme on the Directgov website. If you do not automatically qualify because of the benefits you are on, or another health condition, then we may ask you to provide further medical evidence or ask you to attend a walking assessment with an accredited health professional, to ascertain eligibility for a blue badge.
Misuse of a Blue Badge
It is against the law for anyone other than the badge holder to use a Blue Badge. We can fine you and/or take your badge away if you misuse it.
If you think someone is misusing their badge, you should report it to us.
How to appeal
If you do not agree with our decision, you can appeal and we will look at your case again. You must send us evidence that you have an enduring and substantial disability and are unable to undertake a journey due to being unable to walk, it causes psychological distress or whilst walking you pose a risk to yourself or others. We may also require evidence from an independent health or other professional who can confirm your level of disability or difficulty walking.
Email, post or fax in your evidence, stating that you want to appeal, to:
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Sandwell Enquiry Team, PO Box 15825, Oldbury, B69 9EL
- Fax: 0121 569 5789