Find out about Sandwell's local elections on Thursday 3 May

Information about candidates, details about voting and polling stations →

Extra care housing

Extra care housing is for people over 55 who need some support or care to live independently. Single people or couples can apply.

You may be thinking of moving because you:

  • have had changes in your life, such as bereavement
  • have health problems
  • are worried about your safety living at home
  • are lonely and feeling cut off from other people.

If so, extra care housing could be a good choice.

Extra care housing schemes have self-contained apartments, each with one or two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge and bathroom or shower room. Most schemes have shared facilities, such as lounges, hairdressers, library services and a laundry. Some also have a restaurant and an on-site shop and computer room. Each scheme will have different facilities.

Care or support staff are on duty 24 hours a day, and all apartments have an emergency alarm system.

All schemes have activities for you to get involved in, so you can make new friends, and take up new hobbies if you want to. You can have friends to stay, and some schemes even have guest rooms if it's going to be a bit crowded in your flat. You may have to pay extra for the use of guest facilities and for certain activities.

Extra care housing is your own home. Most apartments are for rent, however some schemes also run shared ownership schemes.

All extra care housing schemes must be registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Where are the schemes?

There are extra care schemes throughout Sandwell and more being built. Goldfield Court in Greets Green, West Bromwich, and Oakley Gardens in Dial Lane are our most recently built schemes. Oxford Road, a new Supported Living development in West Bromwich, will also have bungalows and flats available for older people with care needs from January 2018.

You can arrange to have a look around the scheme you are interested in, before you apply to go on the waiting list. You can also approach schemes direct if you are interested in shared ownership.

How much does it cost?

The amount of rent, service and support charges will depend on the size of the apartment and the services provided. All the schemes have different charges.

You may qualify for help. Our welfare rights service can give advice about how moving into extra care housing will affect you financially, and what benefits you can claim. It is a good idea to find this out before you move into an extra care scheme.

You will have to contribute 80% of your attendance allowance or disability living allowance towards the cost of your care. This is regardless of the amount of care you get.

Our factsheet tells you more about help to pay for extra care housing.

How do I apply?

If you want to go on the extra care housing waiting list or find out more, email us at or phone us on 0121 569 2266.

After asking you some questions, we may ask you to join our housing register and can help you to do this.

If we accept you onto the waiting list, you may have to wait for an apartment to become available. Find out more in our extra care housing waiting list factsheet.