Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Tell Us Once

When somebody dies, there are lots of things that need to be done at a time when you probably feel least like doing them.

We offer a service called 'Tell Us Once' which means we can tell government and council departments about somebody's death on your behalf.

This saves you the hassle of sending off copies of the death certificate to different places.

We can inform various services of a death such as:

  • Council departments - including council tax, housing, adult social care and the updating of the electoral roll
  • Pension Service - to cancel a state pension
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • DVLA - to cancel a driving licence.

When you register a death tell the registrar you want them to help you use Tell Us Once at your appointment.

The registrar will agree with you which government departments and services will be told.

Make an appointment to register a death