Local Welfare Provision and food vouchers
Our Local Welfare Provision Scheme (LWP) can give emergency financial help, food vouchers, furniture and white goods to people who:
- have a crisis and don't have the money to deal with it
- are about to leave supported living and need essential items.
Please note: This service is available Monday to Friday.
Who can apply?
To apply for this help you must:
- Be aged 18 or over
- Live in Sandwell
- Have savings of less than £1,000
- Be receiving one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit (Guarantee Element only).
- Universal Credit – Where you qualify for the full Allowance (i.e. There are no deductions for employment).
Once you apply, we'll look at your financial situation and why you need help. Not everyone who applies will receive a payment, but we do our best to support as many people as possible.
We will not usually make a payment if your benefits have been delayed or sanctioned unless there are exceptional reasons.
The maximum number of times you can claim financial help, gas and electricity payments, white goods or furniture is three times in a 12 month period.
The maximum number of times you can claim food vouchers is three times in a six month period.
What can I get help for?
We can help with:
- Gas and electricity – we can provide a PayPoint voucher for pre-pay meters only for up to three days of gas or electricity.
- Travel – we can provide a payment voucher for up to three days travel in the West Midlands area.
- Furniture and white goods – we can provide good quality furniture (second hand), mattresses and white goods such as fridges or cookers. If we arrange a delivery of furniture or white goods, please make sure you are available to accept the delivery.
How to apply
You can use the form below to apply for help through LWP and also for food vouchers. Claims can only be made Monday to Friday. Applications are not available over the weekend.
You will need a MySandwell account to apply.
What happens next?
We'll look at your claim and we aim to make a payment or issue a voucher as soon as possible. This can take up to 14 days but is usually quicker. We will contact you by email or text once we've looked at your application.
Need more help?
If you need financial advice, or other help and support - use our Supporting Sandwell information hub.
More information about LWP
The Council has a Local Welfare Provision policy which is reviewed every year.