West Smethwick Park
All Sandwell MBC parks group activities have been cancelled until further notice
This will be reviewed. Read the full statement on this and other services.
Join in at West Smethwick Park
Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park thanks to a £4.5 million pound grant from The National Lottery Heritage Fund, with the rest funded by Sandwell Council. We have events, activities and programmes for the whole community to get involved in. All the activities are free of charge. To register your place call 0121 569 4247 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
West Smethwick Park amateur photography competition is open!
Do you love West Smethwick Park?
If so, you can help us celebrate the park by taking part in our calendar photography competition. We want you to get your camera out and take photos of our wonderful park. Enter your photos into our competition and yours could be chosen to appear in the 2022 West Smethwick Park calendar to be sold by the Friends of West Smethwick Park. All money we raise will contribute to our Friends group’s activities and your name will appear on the calendar alongside your photo (unless you wish to be uncredited).
The competition will have four rounds through the year, each with its own theme.
- 1 October 2020 – 31 December 2022
- 1 January 2021 – 30 March 2021
- 1 April 2021 – 30 June 2021
- 1 July 2021 – 30 September 2021
We have five rules:
- Photos must be taken at West Smethwick Park during the specific time that the competition round is running.
- There must be no identifiable people in the photo.
- Photos need to be landscape/horizontal (not portrait).
- The image must be high resolution and of a good enough quality to reproduce in print. We recommend images are, at the very least, 3,000 pixels wide – the higher quality the better.
- You must be an amateur photographer.
Each round will be judged by a different group or partner – judges will be announced over the course of the competition. The winning three photos in each round will feature in the 2022 calendar. Sorry, we cannot accept drone photography.
To enter, email your photos marked ‘WSP Photo Competition’ by the last date of the entry round to WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk or post to West Smethwick Park Competition, Parks and Green Spaces, Sandwell Council Operations & Development Centre, Direct 2 Industrial Park, Roway Lane, Oldbury, West Midlands, B69 3ES.
Don’t forget to include your name, a contact number, where in the park your photo was taken and the date the photo was taken. We will accept a maximum of two entries per person per competition round.
For further information email WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk or phone 0121 569 4247
Junior Parkrun - currently suspended
Junior parkrun is a 2k run for children aged 4-15 years, held in areas of open space around the UK and Ireland. They are open to all, free, and are safe & easy to take part in. Our Parkrun at West Smethwick Park is held every Sunday morning at 9am, so get yourselves registered and ready to go!
If you are interested in volunteering at Junior Parkrun or want any further information, email WestSmethwickJuniors@parkrun.com
for the latest information on the restart of Parkrun and to find out more about West Smethwick Parkrun click here.
To register book your place online
Bird and bat box trail
We have worked with local schools to build and paint a number of bird and bat boxes that will form the trail in the park. The schools have now built and decorated their boxes and we hope the trail will be in place by the end of the year.
West Smethwick Park - the restoration
Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park.
This is probably the most exciting time for the park since it was opened in 1895. We have been awarded a £4.5 million-pound grant from the The National Lottery Heritage Funds' Parks For People grant with the remaining balance from funded by Sandwell Council.
The plans include:
- Restoring the memorial to James Chance which is a Grade II-listed structure built in 1897
- Refurbishing the wall and piers and recreating gates and railings at the entrance gateways in West Park Road and Victoria Road
- Restoration of the drinking fountain
- Constructing a new pavilion
- Creating a new events area
- Constructing a new boathouse feature
- Upgrading the multi-use games area to include tennis courts
- Nature conversation improvements including woodland, grassland and wetland works
- New outdoor gym equipment
- Restoring the airmen’s memorial where a plane crashed in 1944
- The new pavilion will form the centrepiece of the restoration and the building will have toilets, a café, seating area and community areas that will be used for events and activities.
The lower level will be below ground opening out onto a new events area. The total floor space for both levels will be approximately 500m2. The roof will be a sedum green roof with a central light box that will reflect natural light into both the upper and the lower floors of the building and the small pavilion will remain in the park.
We will deliver a programme of outdoor and indoor activities as part of the Lottery grant. The programme will include sport, physical activity, art, nature, history and heritage.
We are also looking for volunteers to join the programme in a range of ways:
- Join the Friends of West Smethwick Park
- Managing wetland & woodland habitats
- Planting and gardening
- Heritage Projects
- Social media
- Delivering activities – sports, history, horticulture and nature.
Like our Facebook page - find us by searching "The West Smethwick Park".
If you'd like to find out more about the project or become a friend of the park, email WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk or call 0121 569 4247.