My Sandwell Login/Register

Local Welfare Provision and food vouchers | Sandwell Council

Local Welfare Provision and food vouchers

Sandwell Council currently run a Local Welfare Provision Scheme (LWP).  LWP is help for people who:

  • have a crisis and don't have the resources to deal with it 
  • are about to leave care or be moved as part of a resettlement programme and need essential items. 

Please note: Local Welfare Provision is a service that is provided Monday to Friday. Therefore any urgent applications submitted over the weekend will not be processed.

Sandwell’s LWP scheme can provide help with the following:

  • Fuel – This will be a pay point voucher for pre pay meters only and gives emergency provision for three d
  • Travel – This will be a payment voucher for one to three days travel in the West Midlands area only 
  • Furniture / White Goods – All furniture will be good second hand furniture except for white goods and mattresses. These goods will be provided by Loaves ‘N’ Fishes.

The scheme is purely discretionary and people have no automatic right to an award.

To be able to get assistance through Sandwell’s LWP scheme, customers must:

  • Be aged 18 or over
  • Have been living in Sandwell immediately before requesting assistance 
  • Be receiving one of the following benefits:
    • Income Support 
    • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit (Guarantee Element only).
    • Universal Credit – Where you qualify for the full Allowance (i.e. There are no deductions for employment)

We cannot normally award LWP if your benefits have been delayed or sanctioned unless there are exceptional reasons.  

Each claim is restricted to no more than two awards within a rolling 12 month period. Food vouchers are restricted to no more than three awards within a rolling six month period. 
You can use the form below to apply for help through LWP and also for food vouchers . Please note: You will need a MySandwell account in order to apply for assistance through the LWP scheme.

Food vouchers are provided outside of the LWP scheme and you may qualify for one even if you don’t qualify for LWP. 

Apply for Local Welfare Provision and/or a food voucher

The Council has a Local Welfare Provision policy which is reviewed every year.

For further information please contact the benefits team.