If you feel you are at risk of harm there are alternatives you could explore such as the Target Hardening Scheme which can carry out safety works in your home such as changing locks, fire proof letter boxes and providing you with an alarm. You can access this free service by calling Sandwell Council on 0121 368 1166. 

You could stay with friends or relatives while you think about what to do next, you can contact Black Country Womens Aid who may have a refuge space available or you can contact Housing Solutions on the contact details further on in this section.

Take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Refuges for women

Women experiencing domestic abuse may be able to stay in a women’s refuge.
Some refuges are specifically for women from certain backgrounds, such as Irish or Asian women. Staff at refuges can give you advice about your situation.
Contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 for more information about refuges.

Refuges for men

If you are man who has to leave home because of domestic abuse, you can make a
homeless application to the council. There is limited specialist housing for men experiencing domestic abuse. 

Get homeless help from the council

You can apply to our housing solutions team as a homeless person if you can't stay in your home. The council will give you advice about finding somewhere to live and you are likely to be entitled to emergency accommodation.


The Housing Solutions Service confirms whatever you discuss with the service will always remain completely confidential. 

Contact details 
Housing Choice Services – Housing Solutions Service
Operations and Development Centre
Roway Lane
West Midlands
B69 3ES

0121 368 1166 option 2 or email housing_choice@sandwell.gov.uk

Out of hours phone number
0121 569 6883