About reporting a child at risk

You may be unsure about what to do and just want to talk it over with someone. Contact us if you have any concerns at all about a child's safety or wellbeing, or think that a child may have needs that are not being met.

We can offer a range of support - from giving information and advice, to putting in place appropriate support for the child and the parents or carers.

There are lots of reasons why you might be concerned but if you are unsure about whether to make that call - just do it.

Support for parents and carers

There are many reasons why parents and carers may need help to give children the care and support they need. This could just be for a short time, or for longer.

We want to meet the needs of children and families before a problem becomes a crisis. Help can come from several different departments and agencies and we aim to make sure that everyone works together effectively to provide the support needed.

Find out more about getting family support.

Childcare professionals and agencies

Everyone who comes into contact with children and families in their everyday work has a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. 

Making a referral to children's social care

All agencies should use the Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF) to make a referral to children's social care. The more information children's social care get at the first point of contact, the more likely it is that appropriate services will be delivered at the earliest opportunity to help children and families.

Guidance documents on when to make a referral can be found in the MASH (Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub) section of the Sandwell Children’s Safeguarding Partnership (SCSP) website.

SCSP (Sandwell Children’s Safeguarding Partnership)

Safeguarding children is everyone's business. The SCSP website has more detailed information about abuse, reporting concerns, training and the procedures that professionals should follow.