Information, advice and support for carers

There are many services to support you as a carer, and some also support the person you care for and your family. You can talk to your Doctor, health or social care worker about being a carer. They will listen to you and offer information and advice to help you in your caring role.

Some services are available to everyone. You can contact support organisations yourself, however a social care worker will refer you to others after your carer's assessment.

These include:

  • support to identify yourself as a carer
  • support at the early stages of caring
  • support when you have been caring for some time
  • support in crises or emergencies if you need it
  • support to take a break from caring, including support for the cared for person
  • support to develop your own life: work, education, leisure and social life
  • emotional support from other carers or people who understand
  • help with home adaptations or equipment
  • benefits advice
  • services for particular groups of people, for example older people with mental health problems

To get more information about these services you can email us at or call us on 0121 569 2266. We can arrange for you to have a carer's assessment so we can work out what will help you most.

The Council is responsible for carer wellbeing, but funds local carer support organisations to carry out the support. There may be charges for some of the services. 

Local organisations

There are many organisations that support carers. To find out about other services look in our online directory of care and community organisations, Information Point and contact any you are interested in. You can find more information about local carer support in the carers category.

There are service that can be accessed by everyone that you may also need. If you are concerned about possible abuse to yourself or someone else, you can report a Safeguarding concern.

If you need support to get your voice heard over an issue you have, you can contact local advocacy organisations.

You can also access information or support with direct payments.


CARES Sandwell

CARES Sandwell offers a wide range of support for anyone with caring responsibilities.

This includes:

  • information (including about other services for carers)
  • emotional support
  • help with claiming welfare benefits
  • courses to develop new skills
  • support to have your say on things that matter to you

Tel: 0121 558 7003

National organisations

Carers Direct

Carers Direct gives free confidential information and advice to help you as a carer. The Carers Direct website has a great deal of valuable information that could help you in your caring role.

Call Carers Direct on 0808 802 0202. Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines.

Carers UK

Carers UK is a national campaigning organisation for carers. It offers advice, support, information and training.

Advice line: 0808 808 7777

The Carer's Trust

The Trust has a network of 144 independently-managed Carers' Centres (including CARES Sandwell and Crossroads). The Carers Trust website has extensive information for all carers.