Register to vote
Your name must be on the electoral register if you want to vote in the next local elections in Sandwell on Thursday 2 May 2019.
The deadline for registering to vote in the 2019 local elections is Friday 12 April.
You will need your National Insurance number and your date of birth - it only takes five minutes.
Did you know?
- You are not automatically registered to vote, even if you pay council tax or if you have registered to use other council services. And if you're not registered, you cannot vote.
- Being on the electoral register is required for getting a mortgage and other financial credit.
- It also improves your access to welfare benefits and gives you choices - for example, being on the electoral register will help if you apply for a mobile phone contract.
- You only have to re-register when you change your name and/or address.
- If you know someone who needs to register but who hasn't got access to the internet, please tell them they can use the self-serve computers at any library or at the One Stop Shop at Sandwell Council House in Oldbury. Or they can call the electoral services team on 0121 569 3244.
- Your name can take up to six weeks to show on the register of electors depending on when you register to vote.
- The credit reference agencies receive a copy of all monthly updates and the full revised register so they can update their records.
The Government's Your Vote Matters website has more information about registering and voting.
Who can register?
You can register to vote if you are:
- 16 years old or over and a British citizen or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth e.g. India or European Union citizen e.g. France and are resident in the UK.
- If you are 16 or 17, you can only register if you will be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register. You cannot vote until you are 18.
You may be interested in statistics on the number of properties and electors by ward and constituency.
If you have any questions, please contact the electoral services team:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 0121 569 3244.