Putting out rubbish for collection
In Sandwell we collect recycling, household rubbish and food waste every week. We also collect garden waste every fortnight between February/March and December.
If you don't know when your bins are collected, you can check your bin day using your postcode and house number.
Please put your bins at the edge of your property by 6.45am on your collection day.
Please make sure bin lids are closed and that all of your rubbish is inside your bin. We do not take black bags or other waste left at the side of the bin.
This information applies to houses with wheelie bins. Flats and apartments have different arrangements for their communal bins.
What goes in your bins
You can put the following in your blue lid recycling bin:
- cardboard and card
- food and drink cans
- food and drink cartons
- plastic packaging (including plastic bottles and plastic food trays)
- glass bottles and jars
- plastic carrier bags - please empty bags before putting these in your recycling bin
- empty aerosol cans.
For a quick guide to what you can or can’t put in your blue lid recycling bin, check out our recycling guide.
You can put the following in your food waste container:
- tea and coffee grounds
- bread and pastries
- meat and bones
- fruit and vegetables
You can put the following in your green garden waste bin:
- grass cuttings
- shrub and hedge clippings
- plants and weeds
- twigs and bark
- pot plant compost.
Anything that can't be recycled can go in your household waste bin, for example:
- hard plastics, such as toys
- polystyrene plastic
- pet bedding
- dog mess or other pet waste
- cat litter
- disposable nappies, incontinence or sanitary products
- heavily soiled or greasy packaging (ie pizza boxes/chip papers)
- wet or soiled paper
- textiles that are worn out or soiled and otherwise can't be given to a charity shop or collection
- foil plastics such as sweet or crisp packets
- broken pottery or cookware
If you have extra rubbish or recycling that won't fit in your bin, you can take it to our Household Recycling Centre (you might call this 'the tip') in Oldbury.
More information on our recycling services in Sandwell can be found in the Big Guide to Recycling in Sandwell.