Our £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme is now closed. Payments of £150 have been made to all eligible households.

Some residents will have had this amount credited to their Council Tax bill. If the amount was credited to your Council Tax Bill,  you can either leave the £150 on your Council Tax account or request a refund.

If you want the £150 refunded instead of it being credited to your Council Tax bill, you can apply for a refund. You can choose to have the refund paid into your bank account or by cheque.

If you don't pay Council Tax because you receive Council Tax reduction or an exemption, or if you have already paid this year's bill in full, and you were eligible for the £150 payment, you will receive an automatic refund by cheque in the post. We will send cheques as quickly as possible. 

Please don’t contact us to say you haven’t received your refund, it will be with you as soon as possible. Our staff are working hard to process these payments and calling us will not speed up your application.

Please note this is not an extra £150 payment – most people (more than 101,000 households) received this payment directly to their bank accounts earlier in the year.

£70 discretionary payments for households who receive Council Tax Reduction

If you receive Council Tax Reduction, you will receive a further Energy Rebate payment of £70.

This will be paid either directly to your bank account or credited to your Council Tax bill.

This £70 payment will be made automatically - you do not need to apply for it or contact us. 

To receive the £70 payment you need to have been receiving Council Tax Reduction on 1 April 2022 and have been eligible for the original £150 payment. We’ll pay the £70 to you in the same way we paid the £150 payment.

Keep your data safe

The Council Tax rebate creates an opportunity for malicious fraudsters to pose as government departments, local authorities or council tax rebate services in order to collect personal or banking information from citizens.

If you are concerned about scams, suspicious emails, phone calls or text messages, please refer to guidance published by Action Fraud and NCSC’s Suspicious Email Reporting Service (SERS).