Dropped kerbs

If you want to drop the kerb outside your home to create a driveway you need permission from the council before the work can be done.

Dropping a kerb involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement so a vehicle can be driven across.

Before you apply for a dropped kerb, please read the Terms and Conditions

Request a dropped kerb outside your home

You will need to pay a £196.00 fee by credit or debit card. If you decide not to go ahead with the dropped kerb, or if we think your property isn't suitable for a dropped kerb, the fee is not refundable.

Once you have paid, we will arrange an appointment for an officer to visit you.

If your property is rented, you will also need permission from the council, housing association or landlord to create a driveway.

There are three standard sizes of crossing, and the guideline prices, subject to inspection, are as follows:

  • Standard single crossing £900
  • Standard double crossing £1,500
  • Standard extension £400

The actual cost will be determined from measurements taken on site. If there are any specific obstacles which need to be relocated or removed, or you have a large area of grass verge outside your property, this cost could be significantly higher. In these cases, a crossing can sometimes cost in excess of £3,000.


Be aware that people falsely claiming to work for the council are knocking doors offering to drop kerbs in return for cash. They do not work for the council and no contractor working for the council is allowed to offer to do work in this way. Anyone who wants a dropped kerb must contact the council first.

Please do not be tempted to pay anyone to drop the kerb outside your home - call highways on 0121 368 1177 if you have any questions.

If any work is carried out on the highway that has not been approved by the highways team, the council could charge you for putting the pavement back how it was.

If you feel you are being pressured or harrassed to have work done, contact the local police.