West Smethwick Park
Join in at West Smethwick Park
Now work has begun to transform West Smethwick Park, we have activities running for the whole community to get involved in.
First Saturday of each month. Next activity is Saturday 3 August 10am - 1pm with pond dipping. Meet at pavilion building, all ages welcome.
WSP Run Club
A nine-week friendly running programme for intermediate ability, or those who have completed Couch to 5K in West Smethwick Park. Every Wednesday from 3 July to 28 August, 6.30pm - 7.30pm. £9 for the whole course - book your place online.
Summer activities for children
We have free sessions going on throughout the summer holidays including football skills, cricket, netball and basketball for a range of age groups. Book a place online.
Third Friday of each month starting 20 September 10.30am - 3.30pm. Get involved in horticulture, woodland management and conservation. Meet at the pavilion building, age 16+ all welcome (under 16s must be accompanied by an adult).
If you want to find out more information or register to volunteer, please email WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk
Family Dog and Jog
Saturdays from 21 September for six weeks. Bring along your dog, meet new people and improve your health, 10.30am - 11.30am - to register book your place online.
West Smethwick Park - the restoration
Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park. Read more about the project in our February newsletter.
This is probably the most exciting time for the park since it was opened in 1895. We have been awarded a £4.5 million-pound grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Parks For People grant with the remaining balance from funded by Sandwell Council.
The plans include:
- Restoring the memorial to James Chance which is a Grade II-listed structure built in 1897
- Refurbishing the wall and piers and recreating gates and railings at the entrance gateways in West Park Road and Victoria Road
- Restoration of the drinking fountain
- Constructing a new pavilion
- Creating a new events area
- Constructing a new boathouse feature
- Upgrading the multi-use games area to include tennis courts
- Nature conversation improvements including woodland, grassland and wetland works
- New outdoor gym equipment
- Restoring the airmen’s memorial where a plane crashed in 1944
- The new pavilion will form the centrepiece of the restoration and the building will have toilets, a café, seating area and community areas that will be used for events and activities.
The lower level will be below ground opening out onto a new events area. The total floor space for both levels will be approximately 500m2. The roof will be a sedum green roof with a central light box that will reflect natural light into both the upper and the lower floors of the building and the small pavilion will remain in the park.
We will deliver a programme of outdoor and indoor activities as part of the Lottery grant. The programme will include sport, physical activity, art, nature, history and heritage.
We are also looking for volunteers to join the programme in a range of ways:
- Join the Friends of West Smethwick Park
- Managing wetland & woodland habitats
- Planting and gardening
- Heritage Projects
- Social media
- Delivering activities – sports, history, horticulture and nature.
Like our Facebook page - find us by searching "West Smethwick Park".
If you'd like to find out more about the project or become a friend of the park, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0121 569 4247.