Get copies of certificates
We can only supply copies of certificates for births, marriages and deaths in Sandwell or (or if it was pre-1974) the towns that previously made up the area.
If you request a certificate and we find that the birth, marriage or death did not happen in Sandwell, your payment will not be refunded.
You can pay online for the certificate by credit or debit card.
We also supply certificates for births, marriages and deaths which took place before 1974 in the areas now covered by Sandwell.
Sandwell was formed in 1974 from the county boroughs of West Bromwich and Warley, and formerly the boroughs of Smethwick, Rowley Regis, Oldbury, Tipton and Wednesbury.
Please note - the certificate fee includes a record search fee and is non-refundable. We are only able to produce certificates for events that happened within Sandwell.
Need a copy quickly?
If you need a copy of a certificate from the archives urgently, we can supply it the same day, within the hour, for £53 if you attend in person, or £32 if you order before 12pm for collection after 3pm.
How much do copies of certificates cost?
The cost of a copy of a certificate varies.
- An extra copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate at the time of registration is £4.
- After registration, copies of older certificates from the archives cost £10 each. We normally post these after four working days. Or you can collect from Sandwell Register Office on the 4th working day.
- If you need a copy of a certificate urgently, we offer a same day service within the hour for £53 if you attend in person, or £32 if you order before 12pm for collection after 3pm.
You may also find the West Midlands Births, Marriages and Deaths website useful.
Correcting a mistake on a certificate
Sometimes, information on a birth, marriage or death certificate is incorrect.
Please note that only mistakes, and not changes, can be amended on original certificates, such as spelling mistakes in names.
Charges for correcting a mistake on a certificate are as follows:
- New or additional forename or forename(s) given to a child within 12 months after the registration of the birth: £40
- Correction of a birth or death entry not referred to the Registrar General: £75
- Correction of a birth, death or marriage entry referred to the Registrar General: £90