Garden waste is collected fortnightly starting in the spring until early winter. There are no green bin collections between 4 December 2017 and 23 February 2018. For your 2018 garden waste collection dates, see our, use our Bin Day Finder from 24 February 2018 onwards.
Garden waste bins should be put on the edge of your property by 6.45am on your collection day.
What to put in your garden waste bin
- grass cuttings
- hedge and shrub clippings
- plants and weeds
- leaves, twigs and bark
- cut flowers
- pot plant compost.
What not to put in (these items won't be collected)
- soil, turf, ash or garden chemicals
- plastic (including plastic bags, bin liners, carrier bags or plant pots)
- food or kitchen waste (including raw or cooked food)
- stones or rubble
- DIY rubbish, timber or sawdust
- animal waste or bedding
- metal or glass.
We can't empty your garden waste bin if it:
- contains items that can’t be composted
- contains any bags - garden waste must be loose and not in bags
- is too full for the lid to close
- is too heavy or too full to empty safely.
If you have large amounts of heavy garden waste, you can split it over several garden waste collections, take it to the tip (also known as the household recycling centre) or alternatively it can be composted at home.
Alternatively you can order extra garden waste bins - we will collect up to three at a time on your collection day. Extra garden waste bins cost £42.34 each.
You can recycle your real Christmas tree by:
- taking it to the tip - the Household Recycling Centre in Oldbury
- putting it inside your green garden waste bin ready for your first collection in the spring (check your next collection on our bin day finder)
Remember to make sure the bin lid shuts, otherwise you’ll need to cut the tree up and put pieces into your garden waste bin over a number of collections.
What happens to your garden waste
Your garden waste is composted and turned into a soil conditioner called CARE compost, available at the Household Recycling Centre - £2 for a 40 litre bag. Payment is made using a meter – please bring two £1 coins.
If you would like to buy larger quantities of CARE compost (50 bags or more only) please call 01922 417 648.