Sandwell Council does not automatically insure your home’s contents and belongings. Ask yourself, would you need help with the cost of putting things right after a kitchen fire, a washing machine flood, or a break in? It could be expensive.

Unfortunately, some customers only realise this after the damage has been done. 

We have arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd a home contents insurance scheme for Sandwell Council tenants and leaseholders to give you financial protection should these types of events happen. Or you could make your own private arrangements.

What you need to know about RSA’s tenants contents insurance

  • Tenants contents insurance financially protects the contents in your home, garage, and shed.
  • Cover includes improvements you make to your home, such as new laminate flooring or a fitted kitchen.
  • Prices start from as little as 45p per week, £1.47 per month, or £15.65 a year** for contents insurance.

**Prices shown are for £4,000 of contents insurance cover, based on postcode area and include a transaction fee. They exclude accidental damage and optional covers. The price you pay will depend on your individual circumstances, postcode, and cover chosen. RSA price data June 2023.

  • You can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly, or annually– whatever suits you best.
  • No nasty surprises – no excess on claims and no fees for changing your details or cancelling your policy.
  • You don’t have to have special door or window locks – as long as your external doors lock, it’s fine.
  • You can upgrade your cover to protect your home’s contents against accidental damage.
  • You have the option to protect your belongings whilst away from your home, and if you have them, you can also cover your bicycles, hearing aids, and wheelchair/ mobility scooter(s) whilst away from your home.
  • More than 25,000 tenants have already chosen RSA’s tenants contents insurance*, so they understand what you need from them. 

*Number of customers with an active tenants contents insurance policy – April 2023.

  • RSA will be there for you if you ever need to make a claim and will put things right as quickly as they can.
  • In the last three years, RSA has paid more than 3,700 claims with a value of £2.5 million***. 

***RSA claims data January 2020 – Dec 2022


How to apply?


To apply online, please visit Tenants Contents Insurance | RSA Insurance

By telephone

Call 0345 671 8172 if you have any questions or would like to apply by phone. 

By post

Please fill in and return a Home Contents Insurance application form.

How do I make a claim?

Apply online or call Royal & Sun Alliance on 0345 671 8171.

How do I make amendments or cancel my policy?

Making amendments

It is important you keep your policy details up to date. If you don't, it could affect any claims you may need to make. You will need to tell the URIS Group if you:

  • want to add or remove accidental damage cover
  • add or remove people from your policy
  • change your sum insured
  • change of address

You can make changes to your policy by calling 0345 671 8172.

Cancelling your policy

You can cancel your insurance policy at any time by calling 0345 671 8172.