Sandwell Council does not automatically insure your furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes.
Unfortunately, some customers only realise this after the damage has been done.
We have arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd a home contents insurance scheme for Sandwell Council tenants and leaseholders to give you financial protection should these types of events happen. Or you could make your own private arrangements.
What level of cover is available?
There are two levels of cover for you to choose from: Simple and Simple+
- Simple provides cover for the contents in your home against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.
- Simple + cover has all the benefits of Simple cover and for an additional premium provides you with extra accidental damage cover for the contents in your home.
You should choose the level of cover which meets your specific needs.
- Your home contents and personal items including bicycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home.
- They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood, but accidental loss in the home is not covered.
- Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, your legal liability to the public as occupier of the home or personally, and the cost of alternative accommodation.
- Improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc., (but not conservatories).
- Accidental breakage cover is automatically provided under Simple cover for mirrors, ceramic hobs in free standing cookers or glass which form part of the furniture in your home. However, this does not cover accidental damage for all of your home contents, for this please choose Simple + cover.
- Simple + includes full Accidental Damage cover for the contents in your home, so for example, repair or replacement if you accidentally broke a vase or damaged your TV.
You also have the options to add cover for accidental loss or damage for your Personal Belongings, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs or Bicycles inside and outside of your home to Simple or Simple+ cover.
URIS Group can offer a range of cover options. You may be able to upgrade your policy to include Accidental Damage, or Optional Extras cover for Wheelchairs, Hearing Aids, Personal Belongings and Pedal Cycles.
If I have to claim, how much is the excess?
There isn't one.
How much does it cost?
The URIS Group offer a range of cover options which are available in the Home Contents Insurance application form
How to apply?
To apply online, please visit https://quote.rsainsurance.co.uk
To apply by telephone, call 0345 671 8172. Before calling, you must have read the terms and conditions on the Home Contents Insurance application form or you will not be able to apply over the telephone.
How do I make a claim?
Apply online or call Royal & Sun Alliance on 0345 671 8171.
How do I make amendments or cancel my policy?
It is important you keep your policy details up to date. If you don't, it could affect any claims you may need to make. You will need to tell the URIS Group if you:
- want to add or remove accidental damage cover
- add or remove people from your policy
- change your sum insured
- change of address
You can make changes to your policy by calling 0345 671 8172.
Cancelling your policy
You can cancel your insurance policy at any time by calling 0345 671 8172.