Test and trace support payment

Read about the Government's new financial package to support and enforce self-isolation

In some circumstances, if you are required by law to self-isolate, from Monday 28 September 2020 you may be supported by a payment of £500, payable through Sandwell Council. 

Information about the scheme

Who can get the Test & Trace Support Payment?

To get the Test & Trace Support Payment, you must be:

  • asked to self-isolate by NHS Test & Trace either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. 
  • (Please note that you must complete the NHS registration process or your details will not appear on the NHS system and we will be unable to award your payment)
  • employed or self-employed
  • unable to work from home and will lose income as a result 
  • currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment & Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Please note that if you are not receiving any of the above benefits you may still be eligible for a discretionary Test and Trace Support payment from Sandwell Council if you are on a low income and are experiencing financial hardship as a result of being asked to self-isolate.  

Please note: If your payment is approved, it may take up to five days for the bank transfer to take place.

How much is the payment?

You may be supported by a lump sum payment of £500.

Will this payment be taxed?

This payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

When will this come into force?

These changes came into effect on 28 September 2020, alongside the legal duty to self-isolate. Individuals who are eligible prior to that date will be able to make a backdated claim.

Apply for a Test and Trace Support payment