Changes to polling stations for the May 2023 Local Elections in Sandwell
Published 14th March 2023
Voters in Sandwell are urged to check their poll card ahead of May’s local elections, after Sandwell Council made changes to some polling stations
There are changes to nine Sandwell polling stations for the elections on Thursday 4 May 2023, when voters will be electing a local councillor. Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm.
The changes in the Bristnall, Oldbury, St Paul’s and Smethwick wards include moving one polling station from a school to a chapel, and reducing the number of temporary huts being used as polling stations.
Voters whose polling station has changed will receive a separate letter, as well as their poll card, making them aware of the changes. Poll cards will be delivered from the third week in March.
Residents can also check their polling station online using their home postcode.
Returning Officer Shokat Lal said: “Before you vote this year, do quickly check your poll card to make sure you go to the right place.
“And if you vote at a polling station, you will need to take photographic ID with you. Accepted forms of photo ID include a passport, photo driving licence, an older or disabled person’s bus pass, a Blue Badge and an identity card with the PASS logo.
“If you don’t have photographic ID, you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate before 5pm on 25 April.
“You can apply for free Voter Authority Certificate online or go into any Sandwell Library or Sandwell Council House and staff will help you to apply for one.”
There will be changes inside polling stations with more measures in place to make sure they are accessible for people with disabilities. If you have a disability, you can bring someone with you to help you vote.
Because of the new requirement to show photo ID, voters may have to wait a little longer to cast their vote. Please be patient and have your photo ID ready to show the staff if you are voting at a polling station.
Poll cards will also look different - they will be sent as mailers with a sticky edge, rather than as a piece of card, due to the new rules around Voter ID.
Find out about types of accepted photo ID and how to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate if you don’t have accepted photo ID.
For help with photo ID you can call the Voter ID help line on 0121 569 6999 or the elections team on 0121 569 3244.
The changes made to polling stations for the 2023 Local Elections in Sandwell are as follows:
Changes to polling stations in Bristnall ward
- Some people who previously voted at Our Lady & St Hubert’s RC Primary School, Moat Road, Oldbury will now vote at Hurst Road Community Centre – check your poll card.
- Some people who voted inside Langley Swimming Centre will now vote at Our Lady & St Hubert’s RC Primary School, Moat Road, Oldbury– check your poll card.
- People who voted at the temporary hut on Langley Swimming Centre car park will now vote inside Langley Swimming Centre, Vicarage Road, Oldbury.
Changes to polling stations in Oldbury ward
- People who previously voted at Tipton Road Methodist Church will now vote at the Shri Venkateswara (Balaji) Temple, Dudley Road East, Oldbury.
- People who previously voted at Christ Church C of E Primary School will now vote at Kingdom Life Apostolic Chapel, Birmingham Street, Oldbury.
Changes to polling stations in St Paul’s ward
- People who previously voted at the temporary hut in Woodland Drive will now vote at the New Hope Christian Centre, Woodland Drive, Smethwick.
- People who previously voted at St Alban’s Community Centre will now vote at West Smethwick Park Sons of Rest building in the park off West Park Road, Smethwick.
Changes to polling stations in Smethwick ward
- Some people who previously voted at Holy Trinity Church, Church Hill Street will now vote at Smethwick Fire Station, Stony Lane, Smethwick – check your poll card.
- People who previously voted at the temporary hut situated at the junction of Thimblemill Road and Hales Lane will now vote at New Beginnings Community at St Marks Church, Thimblemill Road, Smethwick.